Dictionary of Pali Proper Names

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Dictionary of Pali Proper Names

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have completed the second phase of updating the DPPN.

Except on the Index pages, where diacritics are not used to make page searching easier, most of the Pāli spellings have now been corrected. The names of suttas have been changed to match the CSCD Tipiṭaka to make finding them easier, and footnotes have been added to some of the longer articles to reduce the clutter.

There indexes to the Jātka, Dīgha Nikyāya, Majjhima Nikāya, and Sutta Nipāta.

Its now at a stage where I am happy to leave it has it is, but I welcome any feedback, particularly reports of any broken links.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ben

Re: Dictionary of Pali Proper Names

Post by Ben »

Thank you, Bhante!
:anjali:
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

There seems to be a missing "i" on the first page:
This online edition includes the diacritical marks (accents) required for the correct spelling of Pāl
:reading:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Bhante, That's a very valuable resource, which I use regularly. It's great to be able to look up someone and get all the suttas that he/she appears in. I can then take the page reference and plug it into http://suttacentral.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and often get straight to an on-line version. Or at least have an easy reference to a real book... :reading:

Mike
theY

Post by theY »

Great!!!

Note: CSCD4 beta 15 can't search in thai.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

So, from I have seen this is a pali dictionary, am I right?

Thanks for putting it online :anjali:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

It's a list of the names that appear in the Canon, with summaries of their lives, where their stories may be found in Vinaya, Sutta, and Commentary, which suttas were spoken to them, and so on. A very helpful reference for understanding the Canon.

Mike
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Ah, thnx :D
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have updated a number of the longer articles with footnotes, and more cross-references to other articles. If you don't know how to find references in the translations, an explanation and illustration is given after the footnotes.

The average reader doesn't need to see these references at all while reading the article, but the references are useful for those who do want to read a quote in its full context.

This is a convenient place to report broken links or glaring errors. Please provide a link to the page where you found the error.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have now almost completed a major update of the Dictionary of Pali Proper Names site.

I transferred the entire site from NetObjects Fusion to Serif WebPlus X8, which now supports font embedding. This should mean that Pāḷi diacritics can be read, even by those who don't have a suitable font installed. Other major changes include:
  1. Changing names of suttas to match the names given in the CSCD Tipiṭaka to make it easier to find references in the Pāḷi text.
  2. Updating the English in some places to improve the translation. Wherever I have made a significant change to the Malalsekera edition, the font colour is changed from Black to Dark Blue.
  3. Inserted numerous suttas (mostly from the Saṃyuttanikāya) that are missing from the original
  4. Added many more cross-reference links including links to footnotes, and backlinks from the footnotes to the text
More updates will follow — I am currently inserting missing suttas beginning with the letter N, which means the process is half done.

Be warned that the translations are no more than a brief synopsis in most cases. If you want to read the translations in full, other sites like Sutta Central or Access to Insight are more suitable. This is a useful reference for finding your way around the Pali Texts.

There's also quite a lot of Sri Lankan history from the Mahāvaṃsa, Cūlavaṃsa, and Rasavahini, which may be of limited interest to students of Buddhism.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

:twothumbsup:
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Bhante for the update.

I was puzzled that there was no detailed entry for Moliyasīvaka. See this thread, where we are discussing AN 6.4:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 16#p333916
It seems that there is an entry in the DPPN version here:
http://www.what-buddha-said.net/library ... sivaka.htm
However, your version only has:
Moliyasīvaka.– A wanderer (paribbājaka).
http://aimwell.org/DPPN/m.html
with no link to a detailed article.

Is it possible some of your links have gone missing in the conversion process?

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The article on Moliyasivaka is there — just the link is missing.

There's another link to the article under Sīvaka.

Thank you for letting me know. It's now fixed.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Bhante, it's good to know that it's just a small bug.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

About 85% done now after uploading the S Index page and entries beginning with S, and the T Index page and entries beginning with T.

The Samyuttanikāya Page now includes an index of suttas in the Saṃyuttanikāya, which is mostly where I am currently making changes and additions at the moment.

Most changes and additions to Malalasekera's edition are indicated by blue text.