Tesseract

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Jechbi

Tesseract

Post by Jechbi »

A complete lounge topic:
tesseract.jpg
tesseract.jpg (44.57 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
A fourth physical dimension represented in visual terms. Easy to conceptualize. Easy to understand how in theory one could move in a completely different direction, out of these three physical dimensions. In mathematical terms, there's no reason why there might not be an additional physical dimension that is not time or some other seemingly non-physical construct.

Yet we can't. We're stuck here, in this place, in this framework. This is an idea that has stuck with me since childhood, and I think I drew my first tesseract when I was 14 or 15 years old, before I ever had encountered the word. Now when I look at it, I see eight points. Now the tesseract makes me laugh, there's just something about it.

Part of me still wants to go there, as if there's somewhere else to go, somewhere else to be, something more to do and understand. And I'm sure there is, just as sure as I am that I'll never reach out with my hand and get there.

I figure we all have our tesseracts.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Ben

Re: Tesseract

Post by Ben »

Jechbi,
You are, indeed, an asset to this forum!
Part of me still wants to go there, as if there's somewhere else to go, somewhere else to be, something more to do and understand. And I'm sure there is, just as sure as I am that I'll never reach out with my hand and get there.
If I can quote the timeless words of my teacher...just observe!
I figure we all have our tesseracts.
I don't know about everyone, but I can vouch for my own.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Guy

Post by Guy »

You're not alone with the tesseracts/hypercubes Jechbi,

I drew a hypercube for a high school art project, ended up getting a D for that class. Maybe I should have drawn it in math class? I didn't do well in school, my mind was always somewhere else. Now I'm here thinking about high school... :rofl:

Oh well, I should probably do some meditation and bring my mind back to the present.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I have a 2D-projection of a rotating isometric equilateral 4D geometric shape as my screensaver at work.

Spooky.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mawkish1983 wrote:I have a 2D-projection of a rotating isometric equilateral 4D geometric shape as my screensaver at work.

Spooky.
OK now that gave me a headache to read :tongue:

but science did admit time was the 4th dimention (or so I have heard) and believe that M-Theory states their are 11 dimentions
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Manapa wrote:but science did admit time was the 4th dimention (or so I have heard)
That's why I said geometric, to make it clear I mean 4 spatial dimentions (ignoring the temporal, but as it's a rotating animation I suppose it is a 2+1D geometric projection of a 4+1D shape :D). I should take care to be more precise :D
Manapa wrote:M-Theory states their are 11 dimentions
Mmm, or 9, or 23... like Buddhism, string theory comes in many flavours :D
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Ben wrote:If I can quote the timeless words of my teacher...just observe!
Sound advice.
Metta
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.