Isnt it a Buddhist belief that so called Demons exist?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Isnt it a Buddhist belief that so called Demons exist?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See the article on Māra in the DPPN, and the admonition to Māra given by Moggallāna in the Māratajjaniya Sutta.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Aloka wrote:
nibbuti wrote:
Ervin wrote:How does karma work in relation to so called Demons, Are they subject to it? And what does Buddhism say on how do Demons operate?
Demons are subconscious unwholesome thought processes and feelings.
I agree nibbuti - and they needn't necessarily be subconscious !

kind regards

Aloka
And how do you explain Buddha talking and resisting Mara's temptations?

Did Buddha still have negative conscious or subconscious thought processes?
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Only that i know is that demons are made by fear. Some kind of anti-mater.
Barionic (light) mater is made by gravitation, by unification, by love. Demons are made by fear, by devision, by anti-gravitation.

They are not visibles by eye be cause our eye can see only the light.
They are feed by fear, and hurt by love.

So if you have deal with it, you must to know that its just some beings like you, who knows suffering (much more suffering, they even take delight in it) and want just to be happy, to survive, to exist.
They just want exist, this why they make us fear sometimes, because in this fear they exist, by this fear they feel their existence.

Feel compassion to them. :hug:

Sabbe dhamma anatta.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Alex123 wrote:And how do you explain Buddha talking and resisting Mara's temptations?

It's very possible that all exchanges between the Buddha and Mara are poetic devices meant to expound doctrine. I doubt that the Buddha, who was almost always alone when Mara came upon him, ran back to the monks afterwards and told them what happened. It makes more sense to believe that the stories are allegorical and exist to represent the unshakable enlightenment of the Buddha.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
cooran

Post by cooran »

plwk wrote:Māra
Excellent link plwk! Thanks! :smile:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

DAWN wrote:Only that i know is that demons are made by fear. Some kind of anti-mater.
Barionic (light) mater is made by gravitation, by unification, by love. Demons are made by fear, by devision, by anti-gravitation.

So if you have deal with it, you must to know that its just some beings like you, who knows suffering (much more suffering, they even take delight in it) and want just to be happy, to survive, to exist.
They just want exist, this why they make us fear sometimes, because in this fear they exist, by this fear they feel their existence.
Sutta reference?
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
DAWN wrote:Only that i know is that demons are made by fear. Some kind of anti-mater.

Sutta reference?
I dont have sutta; it's an heretic wiev.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

DAWN wrote:
Mawkish1983 wrote:

Sutta reference?
I dont have sutta; it's an heretic wiev.
I see. So you just made it all up? Could be worth making it clearer in future when sharing adhammic conjecture. Just a suggestion.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Mawkish1983 wrote:I see. So you just made it all up? Could be worth making it clearer in future when sharing adhammic conjecture. Just a suggestion.
It's an intelectual, logical conclusion. This conclusion is that demons are made by fear, by anti-gravitation, anti-mater, so cant be visible by us, and can be destroyed by love, by gravitation, by mater.

If there is 0, there is also +1 and -1. Day and night, love and fear, etc.
Just some dualistic, logical conclusion.

I have never deal with it, but i know that when i feel fear i have just to feel some love or compssion to the cause of my fear, and this feeling disapears. Love destoy fear, and fear destroy love. When i say love i mean unification, when i say fear i mean division.
Also, it will be more strange if there is no such kind of leaving being, than if there is.

Sabbe dhamma anatta.
So i dont know if fear have some kind of conditioned self to call it leaving beings or just fenomena, but i know that fear is netralised by love. The rest information about this fenomena is not necessarily important to cope with it.

All Dhamma that cant be seen direclty, here and now, is not The Dhamma.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

DAWN wrote:It's an intelectual, logical conclusion. This conclusion is that demons are made by fear, by anti-gravitation, anti-mater, so cant be visible by us, and can be destroyed by love, by gravitation, by mater.
Ah, I get it, this is a joke. Okay. Often, sarcasm is wasted on me.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
DAWN wrote:It's an intelectual, logical conclusion. This conclusion is that demons are made by fear, by anti-gravitation, anti-mater, so cant be visible by us, and can be destroyed by love, by gravitation, by mater.
Ah, I get it, this is a joke. Okay. Often, sarcasm is wasted on me.
All fenomena is some kind of joke :spy:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
dude

Post by dude »

Ervin wrote:How does karma work in relation to so called Demons, Are they subject to it? And what does Buddhism say on how do Demons operate?

Thanks

Of course. All living beings are subject to karma.
Demons are living beings who have a lot of anger karma and are born as angry spirits. They mostly run around clobbering other angry spirits but sometimes they interact with other kinds of living beings. Some of them showed up to hear the Buddha's teachings and conceived the desire to attain enlightenment.
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:
Alex123 wrote:And how do you explain Buddha talking and resisting Mara's temptations?

It's very possible that all exchanges between the Buddha and Mara are poetic devices meant to expound doctrine. I doubt that the Buddha, who was almost always alone when Mara came upon him, ran back to the monks afterwards and told them what happened. It makes more sense to believe that the stories are allegorical and exist to represent the unshakable enlightenment of the Buddha.
No, they really exist.

I know people and videos can see them and talk to them. And as I see, it is the world of perception like a dream, everything can happens. I don't know, it is like consciousness can exist without body, and if someone dies, they appear in that world. And they can see vast distance immediately in that world. That is from real life experience and I think many things in suttas were said according to this world.

Regards
Please stop following me
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

There's a funny little saying that I like which I think sums up my own personal feelings on this matter:

Just because you don't believe in demons doesn't mean that they don't believe in you.

Food for thought...

Metta,

:anjali:
Sabba rasam dhammaraso jinati
The flavor of the dhamma exceeds all other flavors
Yana

Post by Yana »

Thanks
Hi Ervin,

A trait naturally associated with a Demon is anger. Demons are subject to kamma.All beings except an Enlightened Being is subject to kamma.

:anjali:
Life is preparing for Death