YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Why I am not a Buddhist - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Why I am not a Buddhist

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DAWN

Re: Why I am not a Buddhist

Postby DAWN » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:30 pm

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:58 pm

"I" has nothing to do with it, period... or else we would be focusing on the wrong thing. It's illusory. Believing in that kind of perception will only contribute to the dukkha... whether it's coming from either side, including yours.

You said that there's no "I" in the Dhamma. Well, why don't you try to view things in that way now? You seem to be fixated on it... even to the point where you believe that it's part of the topic. The word "I" has nothing to do with the person's issue who wrote that blog.

I think that the real issue here is that he encountered something which he didn't like, and then some people in here were concerned enough about it to discuss that. "I" had no part in this... never has been, and it never will be. It's just a word that a guy used.

:anjali:
Last edited by beeblebrox on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:06 pm

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:14 pm

:goodpost:
Complitely agree.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:38 pm

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:18 am

I also posted the link to a local Buddhist discussion group and some of the responses I received was some thing like, "He is ignorant . He wasn't really a Buddhist in the first place. He didn't make an effort to investigate further". I am struck by the fact that many Buddhists want to spread their religion but would place the blame on the person if he fails to believe. Somethimes comments would go further to say his wisdom is weak, he did not have good karma , etc. They fail to see that the guy picked up all these wrong beliefs and practices from other Buddhists, so who is at fault here?

In Malaysia, becoz Theravada is relatively new and being developed on the back of traditional Chinese Mahayana, thankfully, we also have less of the cultural folk religious elements.

ground

Postby ground » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:21 am

dude

Postby dude » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:20 am

Sounds to me like the Malaysian Buddhist communities he's talking about weren't practicing Buddhism at all, Hinayana or Mahayana.
It sounds like a bunch of local superstitions with some Buddhist teachings thrown in and called Buddhism.

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:59 am

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:33 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:59 am

dude

Postby dude » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:03 am

It probably is a bit unfair, or at least inadequately considered, because it's an offhand comment in response to reading it through once.
I should think much longer and carefully before saying anything about the dharma. Confucius said "nine thoughts to one word."
After reading it a second time, though, I agree with almost everything he says, and I'm a practicing Buddhist.
Get what I mean?
Buddhism is not about going to a better place after you die. The Buddha's teachings are instructions for a practice to learn the standards of skillful and unskillful conduct which lead to good and bad outcomes, cultivation of capacity for illusion-free perception of the mysteries of the mind, and bringing forth the buddha-wisdom innate in all livings. These practices have practical advantages and produce tangible results; in the here and now.

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:58 am

dude

Postby dude » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:21 am

Yes, and this doesn't preclude post-mortem good and bad outcomes.

I couldn't agree with you more. Of course it doesn't.
What I say here is in the context of Buddhism and what it says about the state of existence after death (and before birth).
What I'm saying here is in contrast to the proposition that Buddhism is about offering prayers in this life with faith this will lead to rebirth in a heavenly place after death, even if it is only a way station on the path to nirvana.
Advancement in practice is carried out in the here and now, and manifests in this life. If it doesn't, it doesn't manifest in the next life either, as the sutra passage you quote restates, which I'll excerpt in my next post.

dude

Postby dude » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:34 am

"Whatever conviction they were endowed with that — when falling away from this life — they re-arose there, the same sort of conviction is present in me as well..."

So to clarify, the point I'm making is kind of the same as the point I think you're making, if you get my drift. Practice in the here and now produces good results in this life and the next. To wait for good things to happen until after you die is not the Buddha's teaching, so what I'm saying is that if he was taught that, he either misunderstood or was taught wrong.

James the Giant

Postby James the Giant » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.

dude

Postby dude » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Point taken. The doctrines are based on the Amitabha Sutra, so it's Buddhism.

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”