Metta Bhavana

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
dls3181

Metta Bhavana

Post by dls3181 »

Hello all,

My name is David, and I am new to this forum.
I am looking for the "Metta Bhavana" in the original Pali script, not transliterated or translated. I have two different transliterations, both from the temple I attend, but from different books. I would prefer the first one, but if one is more proper than the other, or if there is a third that is somewhere in-between, but correct, that would work too. I know that I'm asking a huge favour, but I just cannot find this prayer in Pali, and for years, I have wanted this particular prayer tattooed on myself to see everyday, as a reminder.

Any help that anybody here could give me--a picture from a book, a pdf file--any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the first script, taught to me by the elder monks while I was a novice monk.

"AHAM SUKHITO HOMI
NIDDUKKHO HOMI
AVERO HOMI
ABYAPAJJHO HOMI
ANIGHO HOMI
SUKHI ATTANAM PARIHARAMI

SABBE SATTA SUKHITA HONTU
NIDDUKKHA HONTU
AVERA HONTU
ABYAPAJJHA HONTU
ANIGHA HONTU
SUKHI ATTANAM PARIHARANTU"

This text is from my "Manual of Buddhist Chants and Ordination Procedures," and although it has the same meaning, it is missing a few lines and is not what I chant when I wake up in the morning.

"AHAM SUKHITO HOMI
AHAM NIDDUKKHO HOMI
AHAM AVERO HOMI
AHAM ABYAPAJJHO HOMI
AHAM ANIGHO HOMI
SUKHI ATTANAM PARIHARAMI

SABBE SATTA AVERA HONTU
SABBE SATTA ABYAPAJJHA HONTU
SABBE SATTA ANIGHA HONTU
SUKHI ATTANAM PARIHARANTU"

Again, I appreciate any help that anybody would be willing to offer me so that I may have this prayer permanently written on myself.

Thank you,
David
dls3181

Re: Metta Bhavana

Post by dls3181 »

Or if anybody has a link to another thread where this was previously asked, I would also appreciate that. I've spent the morning searching the forum for the script, but have had not luck. The best resource I've found is at http://www.virtualvinodh.com/brahmi-lip ... abhivadana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but the script on that page does not display on my PC properly; it displays a bunch of triangles and circles, instead of Pali.

I am going to try to download a Pali font for my PC right now, in case that may help me to better view any resources that anybody may be kind enough to offer.
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

I'm sure someone will come along to help you soon, but I should just mention that there is no Pali script; Pali is just written in the script familiar with the reader, so a romanized version is just as "legitimate" as one in, say, Devanagari.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
befriend

Post by befriend »

i memorized the metta sutta, i chant it everymorning, thats another option.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
mirco

Post by mirco »

befriend wrote:I memorized the metta sutta. I chant it every morning, that's another option.
Which language?
befriend

Post by befriend »

mirco wrote:
befriend wrote:I memorized the metta sutta. I chant it every morning, that's another option.
Which language?
english
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
theY

Post by theY »

For alert yourselves to notice wholesome giving mind from self:
[241] sabbapaṭhamaṃ pana "ahaṃ sukhito homi niddukkho"ti vā, "avero abyāpajjo anīgho sukhīattānaṃ pariharāmī"ti vā evaṃ punappunaṃ attaniyeva bhāvetabbā.
Visuddhimagga-aṭṭhakathā Brahmavihāraniddeso Mettābhāvanākathā
http://tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/e0101n.mul9.xml

translated:
8. First of all it should be developed only towards oneself, doing it repeatedly
thus: “May I be happy and free from suffering” or “May I keep myself free from
enmity, affliction and anxiety and live happily.”
CHAPTER IX
THE DIVINE ABIDINGS
(Brahmavihára-niddesa)
page 292 (350 by pdf page number)

http://books.google.co.th/books?id=B_UW ... &q&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then, mettā to the others:
"abyāpannacitto hoti appaduṭṭhamanasaṅkappo~ 'ime sattā averā hontu, abyāpajjā, anīghā, sukhī attānaṃ pariharantū'ti.
an. dasaka. cundasutta, paṭhamasañcetanikasutta, etc.
http://tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0404m3.mul20.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(I don't found translated version.)

My comment:

Your both verses are correct.

However, translated verses will be better for bhāvanā, if you aren't pali scholar.

I memorized verse of mettāsutta, and khandhaparitta (ahirajasutta). Then I always player those suttas to notice mettācitta, and dosacitta that relate with those sutta's subject matter such as dosa that arose when I faced a snake, or mettā when I saw some good boy. Then I will try to pause the same dosacitta and bhāvanā the same mettacitta.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html