Question about the first precept

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Question about the first precept

Post by DNS »

Not too long ago here in Vegas a man was robbing a store with a sword and threatening people within the store. Several police arrived on the scene. When negotiations failed, a police officer-sharp-shooter -- shot the sword out the suspect's hand. Upon hearing the gun shot, the other officers all fired, killing the suspect.

:computerproblem:

It is not the recommended place to aim since the hand moves too much, but would have prevented the death of the suspect had the other officers refrained from shooting. Law enforcement officers are taught to aim for the middle torso, since it is the largest part of the body and has the least movement and to shoot only when their life or another person's life is in danger.
C J

Re: Question about the first precept

Post by C J »

CoreyNiles92 wrote: Also, even with the intention, if you murder someone in self defense in a situation where you're left no other choice, would this break the first precept?
Don't forget the fact that you may face this situation as a result of an earlier bad deed you did. So it may be the time you suffer. You can choose to kill the attacker, then you accumulate more bad kamma. So you will have to face similar situations further more. Choice is always yours, I would look some other ways to escape, as the last option I could injured the attacker rather than killing. But if my obligations in this life is far more important for me, for example caring for my infant, I may choose to kill the attacker if no other escape mechanisms worked. I'm the one who has to suffer bad kamma in the future, not my child living without a father, I would except that. But I will keep in mind that my bad kamma is right behind me and it will come as twice more powerful next time. Sooner or later I will have to suffer.