What just happened?`

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: What just happened?`

Post by DNS »

SamKR wrote:Why is everyone happy that Obama won? :thinking:
Who did you want? Did you want Romney? Really?
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Awww, shucks! Everyone can like who they want.

Since I'm Canadian, I lean left (it gives me an uneven gait, but I live with it). As such, I have a deep distrust for the righters in the US. Even Obama has given us some scares up here in the North-Country.
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

David N. Snyder wrote:
SamKR wrote:Why is everyone happy that Obama won? :thinking:
Who did you want? Did you want Romney? Really?
Not sure, but is Obama so significantly different from Romney? I am surprised to see the wave of applause from the people (my relatives, friends here and in Asia) who don't even know much about what good thing Obama did, or what wrong would Romney do. Their support seems to be based on personality rather than policy. Just my opinion.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I agree there is definitely too much made and too much voter decision based on personality rather than issues.

For me, one of the key factors was which one is less likely to go to another war, which one is less likely to engage in nation building. You would think we would learn from history, but apparently not. Other than that, I agree with you mostly that there is not much difference between the two. Not much gets done either way as they don't have as much power as they would like. They do seem to have plenty of power for using military force unnecessarily, for some reason, though.
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

David N. Snyder wrote:
For me, one of the key factors was which one is less likely to go to another war, which one is less likely to engage in nation building.
Ok, that's right. If Obama is less likely to go to another war (and so less suffering in the world) that would be really good. :)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

David N. Snyder wrote: Other than that, I agree with you mostly that there is not much difference between the two.
Balderdash.That is the same sort of thing that the spoiler Ralph Nader said about Gore and Bush, and do
I need to elaborate?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

SamKR wrote:I am surprised to see the wave of applause from the people (my relatives, friends here and in Asia) who don't even know much about what good thing Obama did, or what wrong would Romney do. Their support seems to be based on personality rather than policy. Just my opinion.
Its not just personality, Sam. It might be hard for many Americans to fathom that the outcome of the US presidential election has profound impacts around the world. I'm sure its why many people around the world are keenly interested in - not just the US presidential election, but US federal politics generally.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

tiltbillings wrote:do
I need to elaborate?
No, but that's not the point.
We know you want to.
So, go on, Tilt - elaborate!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:
I need to elaborate?
We know you want to.
Well, if you are going to be that way, no. I'll just mind my own business and not say a thing about Iraq, the Supreme Court, taxe breaks for the rich, trying privatize Social Security, Katrina, etc. Not a word.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

Michael Moore keeps the faith. :group:

"Congratulations everyone!! This country has truly changed, and I believe there will be no going back. Hate lost today. That is amazing in and of itself. And all the women who were elected tonight! A total rebuke of neanderthal attitudes.

Now the real work begins. Millions of us must come together to insist that President Obama and the Democrats stand up and fight and, if the House doesn't want to play ball, do a massive end run around them. Likewise, we have to have Obama's back. As he is blocked and attacked by the Right, we need to be there with him. We are the majority. Let's act like it.

And please Mr. President, make the banks and Wall Street pay. You're the boss, not them. Lead the fight to get money out of politics - the spending on this election is shameful and dangerous. Don't wait til 2014 to bring the troops home - bring 'em home now. Stop the drone strikes on civilians. End the senseless war on drugs. Act like a mother***** when
it comes to climate change - ignore the nuts and fix this now. Take the profit motive out of things that any civilized country would say, "this is for the common good." Make higher educational affordable for everyone and don't send 22-year olds out into the world already in debt. Order a moratorium on home foreclosures and evictions. There are ways to create good-paying jobs - I have some ideas, if you've got a minute. Make your second term historical!

Finally thanks to the Occupy movement who, a year ago, set the tone of this election heart with "the 1% vs. everybody else" - and inspired Obama and his campaign to realize that there was huge popular sentiment against what the wealthy have done. And that led to Romney's "47%" remarks which was the beginning of the end of his campaign. Thank you Mother Jones for releasing that secret tape and thank you to the minimum wage worker who did the secret taping. Thank you Sandra Fluke for enduing the insults hurled at you and becoming an important grass-roots leader. Thank you Todd Aikin for... well, for just being you. Thank you CEOs of Chrysler and GM for coming out forcefully against a Republican candidate, saying he lived in "an alternate universe" when he lied about Jeep. Thank you for Governor Cristie for being the final nail in the coffin.

And thank you Mother Nature, in all your horrific damage you caused last week, you became, ironically, the undoing of a Party that didn't believe in you or your climate changing powers.

Perhaps they'll believe now".

:anjali:
Ben

Post by Ben »

tiltbillings wrote:
Ben wrote:
I need to elaborate?
We know you want to.
Well, if you are going to be that way, no...
... Not a word.
Damn. Now I'll never know.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tiltbillings wrote:
Ben wrote:
I need to elaborate?
We know you want to.
Well, if you are going to be that way, no. I'll just mind my own business and not say a thing about Iraq, the Supreme Court, taxe breaks for the rich, trying privatize Social Security, Katrina, etc. Not a word.
Tilt for the love of (Romneys) God tell us!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

but the Wisconsin Democratic Rep. Tammy Baldwin became the first openly gay U.S. senator too.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Yana

Post by Yana »

Me and my husband were holding our breath all day.. :tongue: Obama won! :clap:
Life is preparing for Death