I'm gone!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Alobha

I'm gone!

Post by Alobha »

Hey everyone,

I'm gone for a week to conduct a little experiment on myself. For the next seven days I'll refrain from my casual online activities except for checking emails to see how life goes without music, youtube, series and all that stuff. Instead, I will spend my free time with the four foundations on mindfulness and a good share of metta towards me and others. I'll report how it was next Wednesday.

See ya everyone :anjali: ,
Alobha
Cittasanto

Re: I'm gone!

Post by Cittasanto »

:anjali:
Hope you enjoy the lack of internet!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
yawares

Post by yawares »

Alobha wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm gone for a week to conduct a little experiment on myself. For the next seven days I'll refrain from my casual online activities except for checking emails to see how life goes without music, youtube, series and all that stuff. Instead, I will spend my free time with the four foundations on mindfulness and a good share of metta towards me and others. I'll report how it was next Wednesday.

See ya everyone :anjali: ,
Alobha
Dear Alobha,

Sadhu..sadhu..sadhu! .......Do you know this song NOVEMBER RAIN...?

Do you need some time on your own?
Do you need some time all alone?
Everybody needs some time on their own
Don't you know you need some time all alone?

Sometimes I need some time on my own
Sometimes I need some time all alone
Everybody needs some time on their own
Don't you know you need some time all alone
:heart: this song,
yawares
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

I reduced my mediaintake by around 95% last week.

That said, the last week was full of some good Dhammapractice. Others may think it is strict what I do, but i'm just strict with the defilements. They come up when you deny them their food. Ajahn Chah's In the Dead of the Night was a great read regarding the attitude towards practice.

And here's Uposatha, so this will be another fine day. It's also a good day to renew my determination for practice and I will stay with a minimum intake of media for a while.
Cya around,
Alobha
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

:anjali: :anjali: :anjali:
Alobha wrote:I reduced my mediaintake by around 95% last week.

That said, the last week was full of some good Dhammapractice. Others may think it is strict what I do, but i'm just strict with the defilements. They come up when you deny them their food. Ajahn Chah's In the Dead of the Night was a great read regarding the attitude towards practice.

And here's Uposatha, so this will be another fine day. It's also a good day to renew my determination for practice and I will stay with a minimum intake of media for a while.
Cya around,
Alobha
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Sadhu !

Actualy during all october, i lived without internet, and i will continue this.

If some one want to do it to, i want to say one thing - DISCIPLINE, DISCPIPLINE and one more time DISCIPLINE. When you go into "free sweeming", without any internet or TV etc, if there is no discipline - there is fail, you go down.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

DAWN wrote:Sadhu !

Actualy during all october, i lived without internet, and i will continue this.

If some one want to do it to, i want to say one thing - DISCIPLINE, DISCPIPLINE and one more time DISCIPLINE. When you go into "free sweeming", without any internet or TV etc, if there is no discipline - there is fail, you go down.
Well done! I would not just say discipline though. But we have to mean it. Dhammapractice is very rewarding, but it's not easy and it's not pleasant to have the defilements demanding their food. We want to overcome suffering, but we need to understand it first. When we just run away from suffering and from what is unpleasant, when our only response is to keep the defilements satisfied and to run away from suffering as good as we can, we never stand still to see and understand what this is all about. If we don't see and understand suffering, it can't be overcome.

That is practice that does not end with standing up from a cushion. If it was not for work-related matters, it would probably easier to abstain from pc activities entirely, but there are a few good reasons to stay around in the net. Dhammawheel being perhaps one of the more important ones.

Happy Uposatha everyone! :anjali:
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Alobha wrote: Well done! I would not just say discipline though. But we have to mean it. Dhammapractice is very rewarding, but it's not easy and it's not pleasant to have the defilements demanding their food. We want to overcome suffering, but we need to understand it first. When we just run away from suffering and from what is unpleasant, when our only response is to keep the defilements satisfied and to run away from suffering as good as we can, we never stand still to see and understand what this is all about. If we don't see and understand suffering, it can't be overcome.

That is practice that does not end with standing up from a cushion. If it was not for work-related matters, it would probably easier to abstain from pc activities entirely, but there are a few good reasons to stay around in the net. Dhammawheel being perhaps one of the more important ones.

Happy Uposatha everyone! :anjali:
All is true.
Dhammawheel and "dhammic friends" are important.

But if the one who dwell alone have no contact with others, he have to become his own inspiration, his own teacher, his own Buddha. Feed his practice by his practice. When inspiration comes from his own practice, it's good.

It seems to me very important to be our own inspiration, our own "ideal", our own teacher.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Yes indeed! Well said!