no attachement = no expectations

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DAWN

Re: no attachement = no expectations

Post by DAWN »

Mr Man wrote:
DAWN wrote:

Expectation of a rabbit is expectation to survive, to reproduse himself.
I'm not sure if survival and reproduction would be expectation - more instinct.
Perharps instinct is some kind of very BASICAL expectation, the very first expectation, very basical need, inconscios expectation. Anyway this instinctive expectation brings suffering birth aging and death.

So if reproduction is basical expectation of all living beings, even in physical level it brings suffering, it's a cause of all suffering, because this expectation is a case of birning, aging and death of living beings.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mr Man wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: you may wish to read the part after the comma.
I did.
then you should realise having attachments doesn't mean being attached to everything.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Cittasanto wrote:
Mr Man wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: you may wish to read the part after the comma.
I did.
then you should realise having attachments doesn't mean being attached to everything.
Or you should realise that thinking we are not attached and really being not attached are not the same. Attachment can be subtle and also quite nebulus
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

I think it says in the Dhamapada somewhere that "Expectation makes an ex out of Pec and some other guy named Tation." Or maybe I saw that in the men's room at Penn Station. Anyway, it's true. I think a lot of people bring on their own misery by trying to meet other's expectations of them. I believe in this case that other people's expectations are their kamma, not mine. As for my own expectations I do have them, even of other people, but when I do I try to discuss them and reach an understanding. For example, if I'm in a relationship with someone, I expect communication, cooperation, shared trust, not stabbing me in my sleep, things like that. If I wake up with a knife sticking out of me, I realize my expectations were unrealistic and I try to figure out whether I'm Pec or Tation. In either case, I'm definitely an ex. :P

BB
Probably shouldn't post pre-morning-coffee
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mr Man wrote:Or you should realise that thinking we are not attached and really being not attached are not the same. Attachment can be subtle and also quite nebulus
only one of us has the perspective to tell.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

BubbaBuddhist wrote:I think it says in the Dhamapada somewhere that "Expectation makes an ex out of Pec and some other guy named Tation." Or maybe I saw that in the men's room at Penn Station. Anyway, it's true. I think a lot of people bring on their own misery by trying to meet other's expectations of them. I believe in this case that other people's expectations are their kamma, not mine. As for my own expectations I do have them, even of other people, but when I do I try to discuss them and reach an understanding. For example, if I'm in a relationship with someone, I expect communication, cooperation, shared trust, not stabbing me in my sleep, things like that. If I wake up with a knife sticking out of me, I realize my expectations were unrealistic and I try to figure out whether I'm Pec or Tation. In either case, I'm definitely an ex. :P

BB
Probably shouldn't post pre-morning-coffee
I believe you are thinking of the Ass-u-me definition

John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Expect the unexpected...

And everything mentioned about rabbits is, well, I'll bite my tongue...

Be well...
Mal

Post by Mal »

Cittasanto wrote: I have no attachment to the US elections, doesn't mean I don't have an expectation or opinion about them as I find it quite interesting. same with UK elections. neither have a direct impact on my life, but that doesn't mean I am attached or lack expectations either way round.
How can you say the UK elections will not have a direct impact on your life? For instance, one party might say they will reduce taxes for people on your wage. That might make the difference between you attending the next Buddhist retreat, or not. Of course, going to a retreat, or not, should not matter for someone with Buddha mind. So maybe elections do not have a direct impact on the Buddha. So are you... no I shouldn't ask that... :)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mal wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: I have no attachment to the US elections, doesn't mean I don't have an expectation or opinion about them as I find it quite interesting. same with UK elections. neither have a direct impact on my life, but that doesn't mean I am attached or lack expectations either way round.
How can you say the UK elections will not have a direct impact on your life? For instance, one party might say they will reduce taxes for people on your wage. That might make the difference between you attending the next Buddhist retreat, or not. Of course, going to a retreat, or not, should not matter for someone with Buddha mind. So maybe elections do not have a direct impact on the Buddha. So are you... no I shouldn't ask that... :)
do not live in the UK!

(I may change my location to include "not part of UK dumb***")

John Stuart Mill
Yana

Post by Yana »

puppha wrote:Dear Dhamma friends,

"no attachement = no expectations"

What are your opinions?

Metta
I agree.You put it in a very simple way :anjali: .And what happens if you have no expectations..no suffering.
Life is preparing for Death
Yana

Post by Yana »

Mal wrote:
The Isle of Man is not part of the UK.

I'm sorry Mal,but being a Buddhist is no excuse for failing geography class. :reading:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

was the Buddha attached when he laid down the vinaya?

(yana - that would be political sciences :tongue: )

John Stuart Mill
Yana

Post by Yana »

lol..i'm such a dumb***.. :anjali: ehm.."No excuse to fail political science!"..
Raksha

Post by Raksha »

Mal wrote:How can you say the UK elections will not have a direct impact on your life? For instance, one party might say they will reduce taxes for people on your wage
As a resident Manxman (Viking pirate) he does not have to pay any kind of taxes to anybody...yet the UK pays for his defence and all his international administration!
:namaste: Raksha.
(Scotland-also soon to be-'not part of the UK' :thumbsup: )
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Raksha wrote:
Mal wrote:How can you say the UK elections will not have a direct impact on your life? For instance, one party might say they will reduce taxes for people on your wage
As a resident Manxman (Viking pirate) he does not have to pay any kind of taxes to anybody...yet the UK pays for his defence and all his international administration!
:namaste: Raksha.
(Scotland-also soon to be-'not part of the UK' :thumbsup: )

John Stuart Mill