Where are heaven and hell

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lombardi4

Where are heaven and hell

Post by Lombardi4 »

Just out of curiousity, where in the universe are heaven and hell? In the sky, under the earth, in outer speace, in other dimensions, parallel universes, where?
Ben

Re: Where are heaven and hell

Post by Ben »

Its the quality of your consciousness.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Fede

Post by Fede »

I answered Stefan's post on another forum, in much the same way.....
But you said it so much better than what I did, Ben..... ;)

:namaste:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodom

Post by bodom »

Anytime greed, hatred and ignorance are present in your mind you are in hell. Anytime there opposites of generosity, loving friendliness and wisdom are present you are in heaven.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Just out of curiousity, where in the universe are my car keys? In the sky, under the earth, in outer speace, in other dimensions, parallel universes, where?
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Individual

Post by Individual »

Not sure it would be accurate either to strictly call them metaphors for mental states, or to call them literal places, because they seem to involve a "location" for rebirth, but not a temporal-spatial location within this universe. On the former view, they seem rather convoluted as metaphors. The five realms, six realms, and ten realms models could all be seen as metaphors for mental states, but what exactly do the 40 planes of existence symbolically represent? Any metaphorical interpretation would have to be very convoluted. The second view, though, is also rather absurd, because it begs the question, "If they're physical, where are they?" which is what Stefan is asking here.

From Accesstoinsight:
It is pointless to debate whether these realms are real or simply fanciful metaphors that describe the various mind-states we might experience in this lifetime. The real message of this cosmology is this: unless we take steps to break free of the iron grip of kamma, we are doomed to wander aimlessly from one state to another, with true peace and satisfaction forever out of reach.
From Wikipedia:
The picture of the world presented in Buddhist cosmological descriptions cannot be taken as a literal description of the shape of the universe. It is inconsistent, and cannot be made consistent, with astronomical data that were already known in ancient India. However, it is not intended to be a description of how ordinary humans perceive their world; rather, it is the universe as seen through the divyacakṣus (Pāli: dibbacakkhu), the "divine eye" by which a Buddha or an arhat who has cultivated this faculty can perceive all of the other worlds and the beings arising (being born) and passing away (dying) within them, and can tell from what state they have been reborn and into what state they will be reborn.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Jechbi wrote:Just out of curiousity, where in the universe are my car keys? In the sky, under the earth, in outer speace, in other dimensions, parallel universes, where?
And where are all the 'partner' socks to match my lonely one-somes :shrug:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Stefan,

Not a Buddhist source, but it's what your question brings to mind:
Pink Floyd wrote:So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have you found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here.
Metta
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Its a beautiful song (Wish you were here) and a very nice and appropriate quote, Mike!
You old hippy!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Post by bodom »

Pink Floyd!!!! One of the best bands ever.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB