AN 4.255: Kula Sutta (maintaining family wealth)

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

AN 4.255: Kula Sutta (maintaining family wealth)

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:40 am

Greetings,

A handy little sutta for the modern householder...

AN 4.255 - Kula Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

"In every case where a family cannot hold onto its great wealth for long, it is for one or another of these four reasons. Which four? They don't look for things that are lost. They don't repair things that have gotten old. They are immoderate in consuming food and drink. They place a woman or man of no virtue or principles in the position of authority. In every case where a family cannot hold onto its great wealth for long, it is for one or another of these four reasons.

"In every case where a family can hold onto its great wealth for long, it is for one or another of these four reasons. Which four? They look for things that are lost. They repair things that have gotten old. They are moderate in consuming food and drink. They place a virtuous, principled woman or man in the position of authority. In every case where a family can hold onto its great wealth for long, it is for one or another of these four reasons."

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: AN 4.255: Kula Sutta (maintaining family wealth)

Postby bodom » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:38 pm

Thank you for posting this Retro. I am in the process of gathering all of the suttas in the canon that were given specifically to householders. One more to add to my list! Which is growing quite long i might add.

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:37 pm

Greetings BBB,

Somewhere else on the site, venerable Dhammanando mentioned that Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the full Anguttara Nikaya is nearing completion. Once that is published, I'd recommend getting a copy as it should increase your list significantly!

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 pm

I know i cant wait! I am only just beginning the Sumyutta Nikaya translation by bodhi but am already looking forward to his new Anguttara Nikaya translation.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:57 pm

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Thank you for posting this Retro. I am in the process of gathering all of the suttas in the canon that were given specifically to householders. One more to add to my list! Which is growing quite long i might add.

Hi BBB

In case you don't already know, Gahapativagga (Division on Householders) is part of the Majjhimapannasapali (Middle Fifty Discourses) in the Majjhima Nikaya.
Cheers

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Ben wrote:
bodom_bad_boy wrote:Thank you for posting this Retro. I am in the process of gathering all of the suttas in the canon that were given specifically to householders. One more to add to my list! Which is growing quite long i might add.

Hi BBB

In case you don't already know, Gahapativagga (Division on Householders) is part of the Majjhimapannasapali (Middle Fifty Discourses) in the Majjhima Nikaya.
Cheers

Ben

Thank you Ben.

bodom

Return to Theravāda for the modern world