no attachement = no expectations

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: no attachement = no expectations

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:50 pm

BubbaBuddhist wrote:I think it says in the Dhamapada somewhere that "Expectation makes an ex out of Pec and some other guy named Tation." Or maybe I saw that in the men's room at Penn Station. Anyway, it's true. I think a lot of people bring on their own misery by trying to meet other's expectations of them. I believe in this case that other people's expectations are their kamma, not mine. As for my own expectations I do have them, even of other people, but when I do I try to discuss them and reach an understanding. For example, if I'm in a relationship with someone, I expect communication, cooperation, shared trust, not stabbing me in my sleep, things like that. If I wake up with a knife sticking out of me, I realize my expectations were unrealistic and I try to figure out whether I'm Pec or Tation. In either case, I'm definitely an ex. :P

BB
Probably shouldn't post pre-morning-coffee

I believe you are thinking of the Ass-u-me definition
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby appicchato » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Expect the unexpected...

And everything mentioned about rabbits is, well, I'll bite my tongue...

Be well...
appicchato

Postby Mal » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Cittasanto wrote:I have no attachment to the US elections, doesn't mean I don't have an expectation or opinion about them as I find it quite interesting. same with UK elections. neither have a direct impact on my life, but that doesn't mean I am attached or lack expectations either way round.

How can you say the UK elections will not have a direct impact on your life? For instance, one party might say they will reduce taxes for people on your wage. That might make the difference between you attending the next Buddhist retreat, or not. Of course, going to a retreat, or not, should not matter for someone with Buddha mind. So maybe elections do not have a direct impact on the Buddha. So are you... no I shouldn't ask that... :)
Mal

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Mal wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:I have no attachment to the US elections, doesn't mean I don't have an expectation or opinion about them as I find it quite interesting. same with UK elections. neither have a direct impact on my life, but that doesn't mean I am attached or lack expectations either way round.

How can you say the UK elections will not have a direct impact on your life? For instance, one party might say they will reduce taxes for people on your wage. That might make the difference between you attending the next Buddhist retreat, or not. Of course, going to a retreat, or not, should not matter for someone with Buddha mind. So maybe elections do not have a direct impact on the Buddha. So are you... no I shouldn't ask that... :)

do not live in the UK!

(I may change my location to include "not part of UK dumb***")
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Yana » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:16 pm

puppha wrote:Dear Dhamma friends,

"no attachement = no expectations"

What are your opinions?

Metta

I agree.You put it in a very simple way :anjali: .And what happens if you have no expectations..no suffering.
Life is preparing for Death
Yana

Postby Yana » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Mal wrote:

The Isle of Man is not part of the UK.

I'm sorry Mal,but being a Buddhist is no excuse for failing geography class. :reading:
Yana

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:38 pm

was the Buddha attached when he laid down the vinaya?

(yana - that would be political sciences :tongue: )
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Yana » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:51 pm

lol..i'm such a dumb***.. :anjali: ehm.."No excuse to fail political science!"..
Yana

Postby Raksha » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:12 am

Mal wrote:How can you say the UK elections will not have a direct impact on your life? For instance, one party might say they will reduce taxes for people on your wage

As a resident Manxman (Viking pirate) he does not have to pay any kind of taxes to anybody...yet the UK pays for his defence and all his international administration!
:namaste: Raksha.
(Scotland-also soon to be-'not part of the UK' :thumbsup: )
Raksha

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:13 am

Raksha wrote:
Mal wrote:How can you say the UK elections will not have a direct impact on your life? For instance, one party might say they will reduce taxes for people on your wage

As a resident Manxman (Viking pirate) he does not have to pay any kind of taxes to anybody...yet the UK pays for his defence and all his international administration!
:namaste: Raksha.
(Scotland-also soon to be-'not part of the UK' :thumbsup: )

With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:16 am

Apparently Buddhist practice also drains one of their sense of irony (with which my above post was virtually dripping), so I've attached an instructional video defining the term:

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:25 am

BubbaBuddhist wrote:Apparently Buddhist practice also drains one of their sense of irony (with which my above post was virtually dripping), so I've attached an instructional video defining the term:

BB

head + over your
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Raksha » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 am

:offtopic: The UK defence budget is about £37bn. Toward this the IOM are directly contributing only £3 million p.a. UK mainland taxpayers are therefore paying approximately £593 per head (UK population 62.3 million).IOM citizens are paying approximately £34 per head (IOM population 86,000).
If the IOM were paying pro rata then their annual payment to the UK should not be £3 million but approximately 17.5 times more than this, about £53 million. The subsidy is therefore about £48 million.

My comment was actually meant in good humour including my joking generalisation about taxes, in fact only businesses in the Isle of Man are exempt from taxes (corporation tax, capital gains etc.) whereas individuals have to pay to pay the massive burden of 10% taxation.
Raksha

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:42 am

Raksha Wrong!
:focus:
but I will ask this again as the thread got detoured!

Was the Buddha attached when he laid down the vinaya and have no expectations of those who wanted to follow the training?
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion