Buddha's advice on Brushing Teeth

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cooran

Buddha's advice on Brushing Teeth

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

I'm just dipping into Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the Anguttara Nikaya - The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha - and am interested to see that there was no aspect of ordinary life that could not benefit from advice from the Blessed One.

Here is his advice on good mouth hygiene:

‘’Bhikkhus, there are these five dangers in not brushing ones’ teeth. [1216]
What five? It is bad for one’s eyes; one’s breath stinks; one’s taste buds are not purified; bile and phlegm envelop one’s food; and one’s food does not agree with one.
These are the five dangers in not brushing one’s teeth.

‘’Bhikkhus, there are these five benefits in brushing one’s teeth. What five? It is good for one’s eyes; one’s breath does not stink; one’s taste buds are purified; bile and phlegm do not envelop one’s food; and one’s food agrees with one. These are the five benefits in brushing one’s teeth. [251]

Page 822 Numerical Discourses of the Buddha, translation of the The Anguttara Nikaya by Bhikkhu Bodhi
Note 1216: Dantakatthassa akhadane, lit. ‘’in not chewing on toothwood’’. In the Buddha’s time people cleaned their teeth by brushing them with sticks of medicinal wood such as neem, sharpened at one end and made brush-like at the base. This practice is still observed in rural India as well as in monasteries in southern Asia.
The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha, Anguttara Nikaya, Book of Fives p.822 (translated from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi).

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Re: Buddha's advice on Brushing Teeth

Post by Ben »

Hi Chris,
I haven't gotten to that sutta yet in my readings.
But...how totally amazing!
The Buddha is very cool (and very cooled)!!!!
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

How odd! I never expected that.
I am 70% sure you are serious, but 30% of me thinks no such sutta exists and you're having a laugh.
I must do some research to confirm for myself.
:anjali:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello James,

I can understand your first thoughts! :smile: I was very surprised when Bhante Dhammasiha mentioned it in the Dhamma Talk this morning after Dana. He wasn't ready to give us the Talk as he had been giving advice to a lay person and hadn't had time to clean his teeth. He explained that it is part of the Vinaya that the monks must clean their teeth after eating. I couldn't wait to get home to look up the sutta.

It is sutta 208 (8) in the Book of Fives and is called ''Brushing''.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:) Yeah, the Buddha thought of everything! It is great that we have such a great wealth of teachings from the Buddha. The Anguttara Nikaya has the most suttas dealing with everyday life and for lay people.

Now if we could just get the lay people to brush their teeth! It's kind of nasty when someone gets close to you talking right next to your face and they haven't brushed in perhaps days, weeks.
Ben

Post by Ben »

David N. Snyder wrote::) Yeah, the Buddha thought of everything! It is great that we have such a great wealth of teachings from the Buddha. The Anguttara Nikaya has the most suttas dealing with everyday life and for lay people.

Now if we could just get the lay people to brush their teeth! It's kind of nasty when someone gets close to you talking right next to your face and they haven't brushed in perhaps days, weeks.
Indeed, and it also gets nasty, financially, going to the dentist when one has been negligent.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

But actualy, if we watch deeply, teeth are very very very important, and when for some one is not very very very important it becomes very very very painfull :|
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

I, too, never cease to be amazed at the thoroughness of the Blesssed One's advice.

Metta,

Sabba rasam dhammaraso jinati
The flavor of the dhamma exceeds all other flavors
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

is there a footnote to that "toothbrush"

it is commonly rendered as tooth wood, although PTS has tooth-pick.

If I remember correctly Ajahn Chah talks about using a charcoal stick although the common (version) used now (if it is different?) has one end like a tooth-pick and the other end is beaten into individual strands to be bitten.

Tanissaro in the BMC1&2 discusses it
BMC1 PC40 wrote: 40. Should any bhikkhu take into his mouth an edible that has not been given — except for water and tooth-cleaning sticks (§) — it is to be confessed.

"Now at that time a certain bhikkhu, living entirely off of what was thrown away (§), was staying in a cemetery. Not wanting to receive gifts from people, he himself took the offerings for dead ancestors — left in cemeteries, under trees, and on thresholds — and ate them. People criticized and complained and spread it about, 'How can this bhikkhu himself take our offerings for our dead ancestors and eat them? He's robust, this bhikkhu. He's strong. Perhaps he feeds on human flesh.'"
BMC2 personal grooming wrote:Care of the teeth. Toothbrushes, dental floss, toothpaste, and tooth powders were unknown in the time of the Buddha. However, there is an allowance for tooth wood, which is the same thing as the tooth-cleaning stick discussed under Pc 40. The Buddha extolled the virtues of using tooth wood as follows: "There are five advantages in chewing tooth wood: It makes the mouth attractive, the mouth does not smell foul, the taste buds are cleaned, bile and phlegm do not coat one's food, one enjoys one's food." At present, toothbrushes and dental floss would come under the allowance for tooth wood. Because tooth wood should not be less than four fingerbreadths long, many Communities extend this prohibition to include toothpicks less than four fingerbreadths as well. Toothpaste and tooth powder, because they are composed of mineral salts, would come under the allowance of salts for medicine.

Rules
"There are five advantages in chewing tooth wood: It makes the mouth attractive (§), the mouth does not smell foul, the taste buds are cleaned, bile and phlegm do not coat one's food, one enjoys one's food. I allow tooth wood." — Cv.V.31.1

"A long piece of tooth wood is not to be chewed. Whoever should chew one: an offense of wrong doing. I allow tooth wood eight fingerbreadths long at most. And novices are not to be flicked with it. Whoever should do so: an offense of wrong doing"... "An overly short piece of tooth wood is not to be chewed. Whoever should chew one: an offense of wrong doing. I allow tooth wood four fingerbreadths long at the very least." — Cv.V.31.2
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

Cittasanto wrote:is there a footnote to that "toothbrush"

it is commonly rendered as tooth wood, although PTS has tooth-pick.

If I remember correctly Ajahn Chah talks about using a charcoal stick although the common (version) used now (if it is different?) has one end like a tooth-pick and the other end is beaten into individual strands to be bitten.
Do you happen to know where these sticks are available from? I wouldn't mind trying one to see how effective they are.

Metta,

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

not specifically although they are available in Thailand

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

Cittasanto wrote:not specifically although they are available in Thailand
Thanks. There is a large Asian market in my town, perhaps I will check them out later as I will be in that area today.

Metta,

SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Nice one. Thanks, cooran. :smile:
Perhaps the Buddha had to deal with people with bad breath.
It is good for one’s eyes
But I don't understand how brushing is good for one's eyes. Does it mean teeth would look good to other's eyes?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

SamKR wrote:Nice one. Thanks, cooran. :smile:
Perhaps the Buddha had to deal with people with bad breath.
It is good for one’s eyes
But I don't understand how brushing is good for one's eyes. Does it mean teeth would look good to other's eyes?
the ears nose and throat are connected so maybe there was some observable difference when oral health was maintained at the time?

John Stuart Mill
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Cooran wrote:
I'm just dipping into Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the Anguttara Nikaya - The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha - and am interested to see that there was no aspect of ordinary life that could not benefit from advice from the Blessed One.
From http://www.inquiringmind.com/Articles/Translator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :
Ven. Bodhi: When I read the suttas on dependent origination and nonself, I thought: the Buddha is certainly enlightened, but maybe not perfectly so. However, when I came to the Sigalaka Sutta (Digha Nikaya 31) my doubts were dispelled. When I read this sutta, particularly the section on “worshipping the six directions” (In the Buddha’s Words, pp. 116–18), and saw how one who had fathomed the deepest truths of existence could also teach in detail parents how to bring up their children, a husband and a wife how to love and respect each other, and an employer how to care for his workers, I then knew: This teacher is indeed perfectly enlightened. To my mind, this sutta showed that the Buddha possessed not only the “ascendant wisdom” that rises up to the highest truth, but the “descending wisdom” embraced by compassion that drops down again to the level of the world and, in the light of the fullest realization, teaches and guides others in the way that suits them best.