Achieving the "Highest Happiness"

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Tom
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Achieving the "Highest Happiness"

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 am

Is there a point in Buddhist practice where one can know with absolute certainty that Nibbana, is the "highest happiness" possible? As in achieving a direct knowing that leaves absolutely no room for doubt and transcends senses, perceptions, thoughts, (possibly even consciousness), etc.? Can a pyrrhonist reach a point where even he can say he "knows" this to be true with absolute certainty?

Magoo

Re: Achieving the "Highest Happiness"

Postby Magoo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:19 am

The only time one would know this, is when one has attained Nibbanna, so I cant answer this just yet. Maybe tomorrow? :thinking:

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:24 am

Greetings,

As I understand the suttas, it can occur with stream-entry...

SN 12.68 wrote:"My friend, although I have seen properly with right discernment, as it actually is present, that 'The cessation of becoming is Unbinding,' still I am not an arahant whose effluents are ended. It's as if there were a well along a road in a desert, with neither rope nor water bucket. A man would come along overcome by heat, oppressed by the heat, exhausted, dehydrated, & thirsty. He would look into the well and would have knowledge of 'water,' but he would not dwell touching it with his body. In the same way, although I have seen properly with right discernment, as it actually is present, that 'The cessation of becoming is Unbinding,' still I am not an arahant whose effluents are ended."

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

Tom

Postby Tom » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:16 pm

I'm referring to a type of "knowing" that knows this with absolute certainty.

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”