Hi! From Rome! :-)

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Ruwan83

Hi! From Rome! :-)

Post by Ruwan83 »

Hi, I m a 28 years old, Sri lankan origins born and grew up in Rome, Italy. My first meditation expirience was in april of 2011. in a monastery near Rome, called Santacittarama, the abbot is Ajahn Chandapalo :-) this monastery belong to the Thai forest tradition led by Ajahn Chah. then i have always stick to that monastery :thumbsup: i feel very confortable with the Theravada tradition, because all my family in Sri lanka are Buddhist Theravada. However i have a different approach from my sri lankan relatives to the BuddhaDhamma. I feel confortable with meditation and direct study of the scriptures. Few lay persons meditate in Sri lanka ( speak from my experience). and also here in Rome, no sri lankans meditate in the Sri lankan monasteries! i m a mixture of western scientifical approach to the Dhamma and the typical eastern devotion to the Dhamma :rofl:

In this forum i would really like to learn more about the historical part of Buddhism. and learn from the experience of other persons who meditate or study the Buddhadhamma. Of course i ll do my best to share, my little experience!

:anjali:

Ruwan

(sorry for eventual mistakes but i m not english)
Sekha

Re: Hi! From Rome! :-)

Post by Sekha »

Hi Ruwan!

Welcome!

It is true that Westerners and Asians have completely different approaches to the teaching of the Buddha. Indeed most lay people in buddhist countries are not very interested in practicing meditation, nor even in knowing what it is that the Buddha taught, whereas the suttas prove that lay people used to be interested in those things at the time of the Buddha.

Westerners who get interested in the teaching of the Buddha are much more curious and inquisitive, and they want to make their own experience, they are also quite critical, but although their relatively keen interest is quite laudable, they are not always aware of the difficulties pertaining to the practice, those same difficulties that lay people from buddhist countries know very well about from the beginning and that prevent most of them from attempting to overcome them.

Rare are those like you who, coming from one side, get to see and understand as well the other side.
;)
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Welcome friend!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Metta,

Sabba rasam dhammaraso jinati
The flavor of the dhamma exceeds all other flavors
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha1:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome to DhammaWheel! :group: I attend Dhammagiri Forest Monastery in Australia which has many Sri Lankan members many of whom meditate.
http://www.dhammagiri.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ruwan,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Ruwan!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Benvenuto Ruwan! Spero che tu contribuisca spesso alle discussioni qui! Conosci qualche sito dal quale si puo' scaricare discorsi Dhamma in italiano?
///
Welcome Ruwan! I hope to see you post more in the future. BY the way, do you know any sites where you can download Dhamma talks in Italian?

Mettaya,

Mike
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Ruwan83

Post by Ruwan83 »

Buonasera Khalil Bodhi, ho gia postato un link molto utile con discorsi e file pdf sulla sezione non- english resources.
Moderator Translation-[Good evening Khalil Bodhi, I already posted a very useful link to Dhamma talks e files in the non-English resources section.]
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Ti ringrazio Ruwan! Ci sentiamo a presto!
///
Thanks Ruwan! Talk soon! Metta!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Welcome Ruwan!