Modern Theravada, not Western Theravada

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Re: Modern Theravada, not Western Theravada

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi Retro

What did you mean by the 'come and see' aspect of the dhamma being appealing in the west?
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:58 am

Greetings RYB,

rowyourboat wrote:What did you mean by the 'come and see' aspect of the dhamma being appealing in the west?

Benefits can be obtained, known and verified here and now... not just "on promise" in some post-mortem fantasy land like is offered by the theistic religions which are flailing under the weight of modern science and reason.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby gavesako » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:03 pm

A good passage from Ven. Sujato's letter:

In addition, my own experience in Australia has been that such distinctions are losing their meaning as the East becomes Westernized and the West becomes Easternized. The debate between 'cultural Asian' Buddhism versus 'secular western' Buddhism is, to my mind, an artifact of the first generation of Western Buddhists, and has no relevance to the young Buddhists I encounter regularly. ...
I agree completely with Susan that the Sangha will be an essential inspiration for emerging Buddhism in the West; and also that the existing Sangha is in serious need of reform. This need for reform is not just a 'Western' outsider's point of view, but is desperately felt among serious practitioners in traditional Buddhist countries. However the manner of that reform should be what Buddhists have done throughout history: go back to the original teachings, investigate what the Buddha himself taught, and seek for ways to apply that in our present context. This demands a serious commitment to the study of early Buddhism, not just 'tossing' out what we don't want.

http://bhikkhuni.net/bhante_sujato.htm
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:54 pm

I added a DhammaWIki article about this subject:

http://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Western_Buddhism
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Theravāda for the modern world