Jogging

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
retrofuturist

Jogging

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings all,'

I was interested in starting a discussion topic on jogging.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to jogging. I've never really jogged before, and any attempts to jog as a teenager seem to have resulted in me being swiftly out of breath and struggling to complete a single lap. However, over the last few days I've started giving it a go again, and have pleasantly surprised myself with how I've gone.

Yesterday's 11.8 km run (7.33 miles), combined with how my knees feel today, have prompted me to actually get some running shoes. Arguably that's probably something I should have done before deciding to run that far! As I said - noob. :lol:

Being a noob, I'm keen to get any general or specific advice that anyone here has picked up in the art of jogging, so that I can do it properly and not stuff myself up in the process - so feel free to share!

:thanks:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
santa100

Re: Jogging

Post by santa100 »

Great job on yesterday run Retro. Jogging is a wonderful exercise that doesn't really cost anything except a decent pair or running shoes. No need for gym membership fee and you can do it wherever and whenever you want. A few safety points I'd like to share:
1. Fuel: Gotta make sure the engine gets some fuel before starting. Do not overload. It'll vary depending on body size and metabolism, but for me, half a bagel and a banana would do the job.
2. Warm up: very very important that you do enough stretching before AND after your run.
3. Intensity: when you can talk with ease when running, then you're not running fast enough; if you can't talk at all and constantly gasping for air, then that's not jogging, that's running.
4. Length: distance is not really as important as time length. Each session should be about 45 min to 1 hr. But start out light if you've never jogged before or just restart after a long break. Always listen to your body. THat's the most important thing.
5. Frequency: don't do it everyday or else eventually your knees are gonna have to pay. Do it every other day or every 2 days. The bare minimum is 1hr and 30 minutes a week which is very doable right..
6. Posture: keep your view level and your back straight and slightly lean forward. Land with the middle of the foot. Swinging arms should not cross over the body's center line. (Refer to this link for more details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osDO_a1vYHc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

Happy jogging!!.... :smile:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Santa,
Jogging is a wonderful exercise that doesn't really cost anything except a decent pair or running shoes. No need for gym membership fee and you can do it wherever and whenever you want.
Yep, that's part of the appeal.

What sort of stretches in particular would you recommend?

I look forward to watching the Youtube clip as I know there's something I'm not quite doing right... I would often get a "pins and needles" sensation in my hands and need to shake them out.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Like the one on this link would be good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmBp05_DMrQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About that weird feeling from your hand, try not to squeeze the hand into a tight fist. Keep it relax and remember not to swing it from side to side (not to cut across your body's center line)..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Cheers Santa.

I'll be sure to check those out and see what I can put into practice on Thursday evening.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

There's a book called The Stark Reality of Stretching, by Dr. Steven D. Stark (!), which contains the best lower-body stretches and explanations I've yet come across. I recommend it for any exercise regimen, but especially running.

The human form evolved to cool itself and its big brain while persistence hunting, so go for distance instead of speed and you should pick up a natural rhythm. As much as possible, run on hills and other terrain, rather than tracks. Look into trail running.

Stay loose.

Have more water.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Mal

Post by Mal »

Does the Buddha recommend jogging? Why not walk? I jogged/ran for twenty years and stopped when my knees became quite painful most days. One colleague who didn't stop had a knee replacement, another a hip replacement. So I have great doubts about it being a wonderful exercise! These days my exercise is walking to the shops and back, which (just) gives me the minimum needed to keep fit, according to UK NHS guidelines. If you *must* jog, I'd start very slowly, barely above walking pace for 10 minutes three times a week, and build up to Santa's minimum - 30min three times a week, over three months. If knees or hips hurt, don't run through it: as an alternative walk, or if even that hurts cycle or swim. In meditation novices are often told to ignore pain from adopting the half lotus, DO NOT APPLY THAT ADVICE TO JOGGING. The pain from stretching in the half lotus is not the same as the impact pain from jogging, where you are actually wearing down the joint.
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings all,'

I was interested in starting a discussion topic on jogging.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to jogging. I've never really jogged before, and any attempts to jog as a teenager seem to have resulted in me being swiftly out of breath and struggling to complete a single lap. However, over the last few days I've started giving it a go again, and have pleasantly surprised myself with how I've gone.

Yesterday's 11.8 km run (7.33 miles), combined with how my knees feel today, have prompted me to actually get some running shoes. Arguably that's probably something I should have done before deciding to run that far! As I said - noob. :lol:

Being a noob, I'm keen to get any general or specific advice that anyone here has picked up in the art of jogging, so that I can do it properly and not stuff myself up in the process - so feel free to share!

:thanks:

Metta,
Congratulations and welcome to a wonderful sport/activity!

My basic advice is give your body a chance to adapt. I started running at age 40 a little over 10 years ago and could barely run around the block. In that time, I've completed runs up to 100 miles. Your body can adapt to anything...given time to recover.

Eat well, get plenty of rest, drink water. Lots of great resources online. Your cardiovascular system adapts fastest, followed by muscles, joints and tendons, followed by the bones and endocrine system.

Much metta to you, friend, and welcome to a great sport!

:anjali:
Sabba rasam dhammaraso jinati
The flavor of the dhamma exceeds all other flavors
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Some motivation for all of us:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlpcpo ... record_fun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Longer lifespan and a healthy body allow more time for Dhamma cultivation and helping others. It's a win-win..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Excellent! Glad to hear you are running/jogging, retro. It is a great sport / fitness. Over 7 miles is long for someone new to this activity!

The health benefits are great and there is the possibility of longevity -- due to "saving" heart beats with a more efficient heart:

http://www.stairclimbingsport.com/weigh ... longevity/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jonno

Post by jonno »

Hi, fitness fanatics. I jogged about 4miles 5days a week, also ran a few half marathons, attended gym twice a week for many years. Even though I followed all the rules re warm ups ,correct running shoes , etc. I now find at age 65, My hip is painful due to wear and tear caused by those many miles pounding the roads. I now practice tai chit which I find extremely beneficial and less taxing on my ageing frame. I also find that besides the physical benefits that it has become more like a moving meditation which helps my practice no end . Just be careful guys and gals and don't overdo it, remember the"middle way" and practice moderation. Love Jonno
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

It's a worthwhile warning to consider. Anecdotes of ruined body parts lie at the end of many running careers.

Taiqi, other waidan qigong, yoga - these are some great choices for healthy life pursuits, and require no gear besides...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Ben

Post by Ben »

Retro,

I don't recommend jogging - the health benefits aren't worth the damage running does to one's body.
I can't run anymore as a result of damage to my knees.
You've got a great olympic swimming pool close to where you live and I recommend that you investigate lane swimming.
I've always found it to be quite a contemplative experience and is an excellent low-impact exercise.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,

Swimming doesn't float my boat ~ but then, I'd have said the same thing about jogging a week or two ago, so who knows what could happen.

If there was swimming to be had, it would only be at the beach (because I don't much like the stink of chlorine), and therefore only a Summer-time thing - which, incidentally, it nearly is.

Metta,
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

People commonly over extend their leg while running, thus landing on their heel. This directs the majority of impact force up the bones, through the knee, and into the hip, forcing those joints to absorb that force. This is what causes them harm. Rather the stride should be short, so that upon impact the knees are slightly bent. This allows the muscles of the body to absorb the impact force, rather than bones. This way the joints are not over worked and worn out.
Legs/Stride While sprinters need to lift their knees high to achieve maximum leg power, distance runners don't need such an exaggerated knee lift--it's simply too hard to sustain for any length of time. Instead, efficient endurance running requires just a slight knee lift, a quick leg turnover, and a short stride. Together, these will facilitate fluid forward movement instead of diverting (and wasting) energy. When running with the proper stride length, your feet should land directly underneath your body. As your foot strikes the ground, your knee should be slightly flexed so that it can bend naturally on impact. If your lower leg (below the knee) extends out in front of your body, your stride is too long.
http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/perfect-form" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;