prostrations

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

prostrations

Post by befriend »

is it ok to do more than 3 prostrations, would doing them 15 minutes longer be acceptable, sorry stupid question maybe. im referring to kneeling on the floor, and raising your palms to you heart then touching in between the eyes etc...
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Ben

Re: prostrations

Post by Ben »

What are you trying to achieve?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
befriend

Post by befriend »

im trying to stay more physical for health reasons. but also for spiritual reasons like cultivating humility.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I would recommend yoga then, not prostrating yourself. Yoga will help you with meditation by increasing your comfortable sitting time and the postures you can use and by making you aware of muscles and tendons in your body that you weren't previously aware of. Also, yoga will increase your knowledge of the breath and the variability and uses that it has.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

befriend wrote:im trying to stay more physical for health reasons. but also for spiritual reasons like cultivating humility.
Just do some healthy exercise such that health is maintained. Spiritual approaches are best done in terms of satisampajanna practices during exercise (at all times, really), rather than a "spiritual exercise" in and of itself.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
befriend

Post by befriend »

if someone knows how many times i can prostrate i dont know if its tradition or thai customs i dont want to do it improperly.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

A close friend of mine does prostrations for exercise, she also balances and other things that are on appearance quite eccentric like balancing, but she says it is really good!
she does them from standing up and don't know if it is like the Tibetans or in another way, but there is no reason why it would not be acceptable I am aware of.

Let us know how you find them of benefit and what you notice!

p.s. just make sure to protect your knees in some suitable way.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
befriend

Post by befriend »

thank you
Ben

Post by Ben »

befriend wrote:im trying to stay more physical for health reasons. but also for spiritual reasons like cultivating humility.
You'll get better health benefits from different types of exercise such as brisk walking, swimming, circuit (cardio and weight) training, cycling, gardening etc.
For humility - its an artifact of spiritual progress. You could augment that with the ten recollections and include the sharing of merits as part of your practice.
Wishing you all the best,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

If you want to do prostrations for the reasons you suggest, then do so. It can be a good concentration practice. You might want to the full Tibetan style prostration.

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

There's also the way they do the 108 prostration practice in Korean Seon: http://www.koreanbuddhism.net/library/s ... rch_value= I did 3000 of these earlier this year and found it to be good exercise although bowing alone didn't seem to help much with improving my humility. Nonetheless, it's a practice I enjoy and tend to think of it as being analogous to circumnavigating Buddha rupas. Mettaya!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:There's also the way they do the 108 prostration practice in Korean Seon: http://www.koreanbuddhism.net/library/s ... rch_value= I did 3000 of these earlier this year and found it to be good exercise although bowing alone didn't seem to help much with improving my humility. Nonetheless, it's a practice I enjoy and tend to think of it as being analogous to circumnavigating Buddha rupas. Mettaya!
:twothumbsup:
I didn't look at the link before going and looking for that page when I saw Korean Seon...
I found prostrating in a group or alone didn't help to improve humility but it was more the mental recitation of the three refuges or other chant for reflection helped more with positive mental states.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill