Chakras

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Tom

Chakras

Post by Tom »

I don't specifically know if chakras exist or not, however if they do exist, I'd like to learn more about them and work on keeping them healthy. Does anyone here know any teachers that have a good amount of experience with chakras (or other "energy work") and could possibly help me work with them?
befriend

Re: Chakras

Post by befriend »

thats more tibetan buddhism, taoism, and yoga. chi gong and yoga build up ones chi (energy) virtue is vital for accumulation of healthy energy.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Chakras are an Indian structure; in China, the meridians and qi are described altogether differently (Tibet's esoteric systems are different again from both of these, involving red and white drops in some cases rather than qi or prana). There can be some overlap, but always in a New Age context.

If you are interested in chakras, you are going to become distracted from the Dhamma, but to each their own.

To really dive into this stuff in a Buddhist context (and to get up to your eyes in mummy dust and crazy ideas), have a look at The Bodhisattva Warriors: The Origin, Inner Philosophy, History and Symbolism of the Buddhist Martial Art Within India and China.

For a modern approach which sees a Western empiricist practicing Chinese exercises and seeing Hindu gods, try reading Path Notes.

(It takes me back about 15 years; these are some old neurons firing to call up these titles; the single tattoo I have is related to Path Notes adventures...)
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Tom

Post by Tom »

"Chakras" or "energy systems" don't seem to me to be directly related to the path supposedly expounded by the Buddha. However, if modern western medicine (although not discussed in the Pali Canon) helps us maintain a healthy physical body, can working with these "energy systems" help me maintain a healthy "energy body", "chakra system", etc.?
Last edited by Tom on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

daverupa wrote:For a modern approach which sees a Western empiricist practicing Chinese exercises and seeing Hindu gods, try reading Path Notes.

(It takes me back about 15 years; these are some old neurons firing to call up these titles; the single tattoo I have is related to Path Notes adventures...)
Hi, Dave,
I never came across Path Notes but it looks like it might be an Asian equivalent of Carlos Castaneda's fascinating but increasingly weird adventure into meso-american witchcraft. Is it?

:namaste:
Kim
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

In a way; the upshot of Path Notes and the rest of the books by Dr. Morris is Hoshinroshiryu, an esoteric offshoot of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, aka Ninjutsu (taught by Masaaki Hatsumi).
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Are we talking about Naruto?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :mrgreen: :focus:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Chakras practice is interesting for concentration training.

But actualy chakras practice can be seen like a wrong wiev (DN 1), because there is contact.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

To complete,

It would be more helpfull to go beyond thoughts and form if you will not work with one of chakras, but with the whoole body consciosness. When you develop the consciosness on all part of your body at the same moment, when all your body become some kind of big chakra or enlight body, and detache from it, loose the contact.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Read DN2 : Samaññaphala Sutta: The Fruits of the Contemplative Life I dont know if translation of Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu is good, but there is what i mean.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Tom

Post by Tom »

If one has unbalanced chakras, or overactive, closed, or weak chakras (if these even exist), would Dhamma practice alone lead them to become healthy and balanced? Should one seek out a teacher that deals with them?
Last edited by Tom on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Dhamma is for the cessation of dukkha, not the healing and balance of chakras. Whether they are affected or not matters not one whit. Attaining a body which is suitable for practice does not require the weight of esoteric theories.

:heart:

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thank you all for your responses. I was just wondering if that can be a side effect of Dhamma practice. Could any of you suggest any beneficial systems of "energy work", if any?
Last edited by Tom on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

ccharles wrote:I don't know which systems are effective.
Indeed!

Asatru Rune Magick, Ceremonial Magick, Qigong, Kundalini, Pranayama, Haitian Vodou, Rosicrucianism, Alchemy, Shugendo... it's a difficult question isn't it?

Tom

Post by Tom »

I'm not suggesting that they're all valid necessarily, but I'm curious to know if anyone here has personally benefited from any specific "energy work" system or from working with "chakras".
Last edited by Tom on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.