Spiritism and Bhuddism

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Spiritism and Bhuddism

Postby nem » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:49 am

My girlfriend is becoming quite involved in Spiritism as explained in the books by Alan Kardec. She was coming from a syncretic spiritual life of being Catholic and in Candomble, After 7 years in Candomble, she was ready to do what I would call 'going forth', to become an elder in that. She said she experienced Orixa possession and all that, but decided that it was not her path because she does not agree with the animal sacrifices that she had to do to get this far, to go further requires more bloodshed, and she does not believe in harming living things in general and had felt shocked to kill as part of Candomble before. I was hoping to attract her study to the teachings of the Bhudda, however due to the local culture and widespread belief in the teachings of Kardec, she has been dedicating her time to studying and following Spiritism which seems to me, misleading, because the teachings on rebirth are contrary to the Dhamma and it is based on understanding codification of what the spirits supposedly revealed from beyond, instead of direct knowledge here and now. After having read a great deal of the Spirits Book and 'Genesis', I can see that most of the topics discussed, are even totally irrelevant to final liberation. Things that the Bhudda would have not even bothered to answer. For this reason, I'm concerned, because she's on the wrong path.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar enough with the ideology of Spiritism, and its differences with the Dhamma, to give me some tips on how to motivate her to investigate the Dhamma instead, for her benefit. Any help would be appreciated!

-metta
nem

Re: Spiritism and Bhuddism

Postby Jaidyn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:26 pm

or let her make up her own mind. just give her easy access to the thoughts of the Buddha and be prepared she will not engage much.

spiritism is not my thing but if i instead regard spirituality and Buddhism they do or do not connect dependent on what your view of "correct" Buddhism is and what spirituality includes

maybe suggest to her mahayana..
Jaidyn

Re: Spiritism and Bhuddism

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:32 pm

I always thought the best way to keep a lady friend was for me to follow my own superstitions and let her follow hers. Unfortunately, my partners don't always see it this way. Proselytizing is a hard habit to break.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Return to Open Dhamma