Chanting

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
bodom

Chanting

Post by bodom »

I was wondering if any members here chant at home as part of your practice? The only chanting i do is at the local Thai temple but was thinking about bringing it home as part of my practice.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Re: Chanting

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi
not me I only chant on retreat but I have thought about it, but feel it may distract from the purpose?
I do on occasion play a reading from the suttas but that is about it!

Keep It Simple Stupid is the motto and I try to keep to it :rolleye:

:bow:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
ShinMeiDokuJoh

Re: Chanting

Post by ShinMeiDokuJoh »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:I was wondering if any members here chant at home as part of your practice? The only chanting i do is at the local Thai temple but was thinking about bringing it home as part of my practice.
:namaste:
Hi BBB, nice to meet you here, I sometimes chant at home, but not as much as I would like to do,
due to misorganisation of my time, eg: :zzz: :reading: and :coffee:

When I chant at home, then:

- Tisarana / Namo Tassa
- The Three Refuges
- then depending on the day: the 5 or 8 precepts
- Salutation to the Triple Gem - Ratanattaya Vandanaa
- then Abhaya Gaathaa Paritta / Abhaya Gāthā The Danger-free Protection

sometimes some more

Then I close my chanting with
- Tisarana / Namo Tassa
- The Three Refuges
(but I am not shure if this is usual to do so)

Pali in Thai Script: http://paliinthaiscript.blogspot.com

Pali Sutta, Gatha and Paritta in Thai Script: http://sutta-sutra-pali-in-thai-script- ... ogspot.com