What mean litteraly : Manopubbangama dhamma ?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
tiltbillings

Re: What mean litteraly : Manopubbangama dhamma ?

Post by tiltbillings »

DAWN wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
DAWN wrote:Actualy some peoples traduce dhamma like dhamma, but others traduce dhamma like mental formation. So i dont understand why.

Thanks for the link !

Thanks you Bhante. :anjali:
Traduce: to expose to shame or blame by means of falsehood and misrepresentation.

I have no idea what you mean here.
On pali it's said Manopubbangama dhamma
But it's traduced like "mental phenomena" here http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/dhp/ve ... ?verse=001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or like "(all evil) states" in post of Bhante Pesala.

So my question is why when it's said "dhamma" peoples read other words? Perharps this question have no objectif responce, but the topic was created to understand if the word "Manopubbangama" enfluence word dhamma, answer is - no. Or yes?
Okay Translation, but your question still makes no sense.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

daverupa wrote:
DAWN wrote:the topic was created to understand if the word "Manopubbangama" enfluence word dhamma, answer is - no. Or yes?
It's helpful to think that, when translating sentences, sentences are the units to think about. Words can somewhat change their meanings, and their connotative realms, based on the sentences within which they are located. In this case, I don't think "dhamma" is being affected by that specific compound in a grammatical way.

But there is a further caution - this is poetry. So we will want to pay attention to these contexts (the line is from the Dhammapada, for those following along at home).
"They are units to think about"
It's very true. I understand why it's changes now.

But the question arise, who make decision about what should think the practitioner about? Buddha, about whoole conception of "a dhamma", or translator, about just one part of this word like mental fenomena or other?
This is a good question...
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

tiltbillings wrote:Okay Translation, but your question still makes no sense.
All i say have no sense.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

DAWN wrote:
But the question arise, who make decision about what should think the practitioner about? Buddha, about whoole conception of "a dhamma", or translator, about just one part of this word like mental fenomena or other?
Your question is not good. It is unclear. Try for shorter, clearer sentences.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

tiltbillings wrote:
DAWN wrote:
Why word "dhamma" is translated like "mental formation". Who? and why? take decision to take just a little part of meaning of word dhamma.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

DAWN wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
DAWN wrote:
Why word "dhamma" is translated like "mental formation". Who? and why? take decision to take just a little part of meaning of word dhamma.
It is chosen because that is what the text is saying.

DAWN

Post by DAWN »

tiltbillings wrote:It is chosen because that is what the text is saying.
Actualy it is the problem, because text, Buddha, said "dhamma", if he would like said "sankhara" he would said "sankhara".
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

DAWN wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:It is chosen because that is what the text is saying.
Actualy it is the problem, because text, Buddha, said "dhamma", if he would like said "sankhara" he would said "sankhara".
Dhamma is appropriate to the context.