Feeling a llittle negative (but don't want to)

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Beautiful Breath

Feeling a llittle negative (but don't want to)

Post by Beautiful Breath »

I have been asking for some guidance for a while now from a Monk who is resident in a Monastery near me. Seems every time I ask he is too busy (usually with other people :thinking: !!). He knows me very well and we have had many long walks and conversations...not sure whats happening. I am trying hard not to develop a negative mind but its hard I have to say... I was at the Monastery recently and although he said he didn't have time to speak to me, he was arranging meet up with other people staying there. At one point he actually arranged to see a lay practitioner whilst I was present, which seemed a little harsh given my request fo the same.

Odd but it sort of fits in with my friend asking about what she sees as a one way system. We support ordained Sangha in their chosen life, but can we not reasonabley expect a little guidance when requested?

BB...
tiltbillings

Re: Feeling a llittle negative (but don't want to)

Post by tiltbillings »

Beautiful Breath wrote:I have been asking for some guidance for a while now from a Monk who is resident in a Monastery near me. Seems every time I ask he is too busy (usually with other people :thinking: !!). He knows me very well and we have had many long walks and conversations...not sure whats happening. I am trying hard not to develop a negative mind but its hard I have to say... I was at the Monastery recently and although he said he didn't have time to speak to me, he was arranging meet up with other people staying there. At one point he actually arranged to see a lay practitioner whilst I was present, which seemed a little harsh given my request fo the same.

Odd but it sort of fits in with my friend asking about what she sees as a one way system. We support ordained Sangha in their chosen life, but can we not reasonabley expect a little guidance when requested?

BB...
Monks are also human beings with all the same foibles as any of us. It is a really heavy burden to carry that one must always have a wise answer to questions put to one by those who expect to have their every question answered. The problem may not be just with the monk, but also with you and what you may be expecting from him. He may not feel up to it, or it might just be too taxing for him to always having to be the wise answer man. Care-givers also need to be cared for.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Beautiful Breath

I get that...I work as a Psychological Therapist myself. I just can't help thinking a reply would be polite...or passing it on to someone else... I am somewhat stuck in my practice and really need to talk it through.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Perharps your relationship become to close?

I have some peoples who ask me some advices, they ask me all and everytime, so by compassion to them, i stoped to answer, i went away for some time. When i return, and said that i am here, and i saw that their wisdom was much more developped, and now they was able to answer their own questions.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

True--sometimes no answer IS an answer.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

maybe there are other things at play and he doesn't feel he can talk to you at the moment? or maybe he is not realising what he is doing?

try not to put to much thought into why, but try to develop wholesome states of mind.
either way you have a good source of experience here on DW.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Beautiful Breath

Cittasanto wrote:maybe there are other things at play and he doesn't feel he can talk to you at the moment? or maybe he is not realising what he is doing?

try not to put to much thought into why, but try to develop wholesome states of mind.
You are of course a wonderful example of supportive Sangha!

I just know this particular monk and he is often online and always replies - sorry I don't buy into the mysterious silence angle. A polite email explaining wouldn't take 10 seconds to send.

I am trying not to let it bother me I really am - cognitive Restructuring and all that :smile:

We'll see....
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Beautiful Breath wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:maybe there are other things at play and he doesn't feel he can talk to you at the moment? or maybe he is not realising what he is doing?

You are of course a wonderful example of supportive Sangha!

I just know this particular monk and he is often online and always replies - sorry I don't buy into the mysterious silence angle. A polite email explaining wouldn't take 10 seconds to send.

I am trying not to let it bother me I really am - cognitive Restructuring and all that :smile:

We'll see....
but how long would it take to write?

when we do not know the truth of the matter it is better to have a theory that doesn't lead to negative mental states and proliferations than one that does. whether you buy into something or not it still could be true and better to be open for any explanation than closing of possibilities.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

It seems that you feel entitled to guidance but perhaps you have to earn that over a long period of time. THeravadan culture is not western culture. Also, I think we all tend to convert our personal preferences, in this case your preference that the monk reply to you, into absolutistic demands (he should reply to you!). This is irrational in my opinion.
Beautiful Breath

I was only after some advice. Nothing more. 'Theravadin' Culture??? Its England in the 21st Century. Thats being rational!

Anyway, not to worry... :anjali:
Yana

Post by Yana »

Dear BB,

Have you tried talking to him about this directly :smile:
Life is preparing for Death
Beautiful Breath

No, really didn't want to get into something that might disturb (either of ours) practice. I guess its just me reading too much into it. Just seems after some very helpful and in depth conversations it dried up suddenly. Anyway, I don't want to sound like a jilted teenager or anything :jumping:

In the meantime I will post in here regarding the questions I was going to ask him.

Thanks again for your support!

:bow: