your daily practice

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
jcsuperstar

your daily practice

Post by jcsuperstar »

what does it consist of?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
retrofuturist

Re: your daily practice

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

The Noble Eightfold Path. :D

That might seem like a smart-ass answer, but I promise you it's not.

Most weekdays where I work, I study on the train to and from work, and squeeze in 30-60 mins meditation at the nearby Mahayana temple. I'd love to go on another retreat but it's difficult to arrange with family commitments and such, though I do have licence to do a 3-day one soon. I might do a solo sit at a nearby Sri Lankan Theravada centre... see if they'll put up with me for a few days.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Post by Fede »

Woeful inadequacy, with regard to conventional practice.

But I recite the Refuge every morning and evening, together with the Five Precepts.
My work schedule and home commitments mean I have very little time to myself to dedicate to my practice, and I have neglected it in the sense that going to my local temple, or considering a retreat are both sadly currently out of the question.
But I work and strive to remain Mindful, and try to live my life in practice all the time.
Which sounds pious and sanctimonious, but I don't mean to come across that way.

If the mountain won't come to the Buddha..... ;) :D
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Well I just try to live by the 5 precepts but when I can the 8 Precepts, it can be dificult due to my job and shifts to live by them fully 100% of the time, but I try to at least live in wisdom, if I find the precepts abit too dificult to follow, and the meditative practice difficult to fit in any day!
I'm a Chef by the way and go each week to a FWBO meeting to get at least some practice guaranteed into the week, justy wish there was a theravadan group up here!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

Hello All,
Since I'm taking a break from classes for a year, I have a lot more free time. I only work 5 hours per day and I have Sundays off, so I find lots of time to practice formally, besides just being mindful throughout the day, practicing generosity, virtue and renunciation. It's hard for sure, and I fail a lot. But it makes my successes that much sweeter.

Every morning I chant homage to the Buddha, the refuges, five precepts, meditate for 15 mins and say a quick metta prayer. In the evening, I chant homage again, recollection of the three treasures, affirmation of refuge in three treasures, five subjects for daily recollection, 30 mins meditating, and finally the anumodana chant. After that I listen to a dhamma talk online, read suttas or texts provided by various scholars.

All this is according to Access to Insight's "Lay Buddhist Practice" guidelines, found here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el206.html. I find it to be quite effective in fostering the kind of faith and discipline I need in my life.

Namaste,
Dhammakid
thang

Post by thang »

Fede wrote: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:55 am Woeful inadequacy, with regard to conventional practice.
Rare indeed is the birth of a Buddha.
Hard it is to get human birth.
It is with the help of these two
that one makes an end of his samsaric suffering.
Good men! Why don't you put forth your best efforts?

[Lo-wáda Sangarava' - Translated by: Bhikkhu K. Nanananda]
"Bhikkhus, whatever the Tathāgata speaks, _ all that is just so and NOT otherwise."
befriend

Post by befriend »

I remember the eight fold path and see which aspect of it I can apply through out the day.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
befriend

Post by befriend »

I added thinking of the human body when it hasn't been showered in two days this helps with non lust.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
thang

Post by thang »

Dhammakid wrote: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:31 am Every morning I chant homage to the Buddha, the refuges, five precepts, meditate for 15 mins and say a quick metta prayer. In the evening, I chant homage again, recollection of the three treasures, affirmation of refuge in three treasures, five subjects for daily recollection, 30 mins meditating, and finally the anumodana chant. After that I listen to a dhamma talk online, read suttas or texts provided by various scholars.
Namaste,
Dhammakid
Whiz kid !
befriend wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:29 pm I added thinking of the human body when it hasn't been showered in two days this helps with non lust.
Admirable friend !
"Bhikkhus, whatever the Tathāgata speaks, _ all that is just so and NOT otherwise."