Going to Australia.

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Thanavuddho

Going to Australia.

Post by Thanavuddho »

Greetings,

A few weeks back Ajahn Anan called me to ask if I'm interested to go to Australia. That was about the last thing I expected him to ask. Anyway, I said why not, and I'm leaving Thailand the day after tomorrow. I've been in Thailand for three years straight and I've never been outside Thailand wearing the yellow robe. I've never been to Australia either. When I think of Australia, I think of koalas and Ajahn Brahm. That's about all I know about that country.

I understand that there are Australians here. Any tips?
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi
James the Giant

Re: Going to Australia.

Post by James the Giant »

Great news Banthe! I wonder if it will be a challenge for you to be in a western country again.
Which monastery are you going to?
I met Ajahn Anan at Bodhivana, and he seriously inspired me.

I can't think of any tips, as you will have had much worse insects and heat in Thailand.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Mitta Yogi

Post by Mitta Yogi »

Hello Thanavuddho,

Good luck with your journey!

I am half Australian but have lived there for many years on and off in my life so far..... What part of Australia are you going to?

With Metta,
Sophia
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

James the Giant wrote:Great news Banthe! I wonder if it will be a challenge for you to be in a western country again.
Which monastery are you going to?
It is a brand new place near Sydney called Bodhisaddha.

"Bodhisaddha Forest Monastery is conveniently located less than an hour's drive to the southwest of Sydney. It is also only 20 minutes from Wollongong City and 30 minutes from Sydney Airport."

The third brand new monastery in a row for me.
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Mitta Yogi wrote:Hello Thanavuddho,

Good luck with your journey!
Greetings Mitta,

I'm sure I will need it.
James the Giant

Thanavuddho wrote: It is a brand new place near Sydney called Bodhisaddha.
Are you a working monk? Sounds like it! Can you build, or are you just useful around a new place?
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Hello, Thanavuddho, and welcome (in advance) to Australia :hello:
Sydney is a big city, even by world standards, with a very diverse population (probably 100 nationalities). Climate is cooler than Thailand but not cold - no snow, ever. :smile: I think you will settle in quite quickly.
There are quite a lot of Aussies on DW for some reason but I can't think of any in Sydney. If there are any, they will probably introduce themselves when they see the thread title.

:namaste:
Kim
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

James the Giant wrote:
Thanavuddho wrote: It is a brand new place near Sydney called Bodhisaddha.
Are you a working monk? Sounds like it! Can you build, or are you just useful around a new place?
That's the funny thing. I really don't work in building that much. I'm not sure why the Ajahn sends me to these places.
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Kim O'Hara wrote:Hello, Thanavuddho, and welcome (in advance) to Australia :hello:
Sydney is a big city, even by world standards, with a very diverse population (probably 100 nationalities). Climate is cooler than Thailand but not cold - no snow, ever
Sounds like my kind of a place, Kim. I wouldn't mind snow.
Mitta Yogi

Post by Mitta Yogi »

Oooo yes it's beautiful around there! I used to do a lot of walking in Royal National Park which is just nearby.

Climate will get pretty warm in the summer but it will feel dry. Unfortunately bushfires are common in the summer in the area (well all over that part of New South Wales) but people are used it it. Winters are mild, can get cold as you are inland but probably no frosts! A few mosquitos and spiders and that sort of thing. The bush will feel a lot less lush and wet than in Thailand but the smell of the eucalypts is so refreshing. You will see koalas! Look up! They will be munching the eucalyptus leaves in the trees.... The landscape is a mixture of bush (mainly eucalyptus tress with red earth and rocks at your feet) and farm land. The grass can get very dry and dusty in the summer.

Campbelltown is your nearest large suburb.... It has about 150,000 people living in it. There is a lot of "colonial" style weatherboard houses. It used to be quite run down but in recent years it has seen more people moving there from the city of Sydney for a quieter life close to the bush as they call it, which is just a term for the countryside. I haven't been to Campbelltown for years but Australia, outside of some of the major cities, can be closed-minded to different cultures and people. But there are lots of different communities of people down there, lots of artists and writers and families looking for a more rural way to bring up their families away from the big city life of Sydney.

Wollongong is just down the road, a big port town with lots of boats and ships coming in and out. Lots of surfing beaches around there too. Wollongong is quite big, about 300,000 people and has the Nan Tien Temple temple which is the biggest Buddhist Temple of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere. It is a part of the Taiwanese Fo Guang Shan Buddhist order.

Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know, I might be able to help. What an adventure!

With Metta,
Sophia
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Bhante,

It looks wonderful!

http://bodhisaddha.wix.com/home#!photos/c4fi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you have a productive and happy life there.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Bhante,
Sounds great! That area between Sydney and 'the Gong' is beautiful.
I only wish you were coming down to Tassie instead!
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Congratulations on going to Australia Bhante! I have never been there but just want to send my best wishes for you. From pictures it looks like a great place and based on my unscientific survey of Australians that I know here on Dhamma Wheel, they are all nice people!
James the Giant

Thanavuddho wrote: I understand that there are Australians here. Any tips?
Oh, I just had a thought...
Australia is very liberal, and is the centre of the Bhikkhuni Ordination controversy. So you're bound to get quizzed or challenged on it, and on the position of women within Theravada Buddhism. Especially since Santi is so close, and Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Sujato are often in the area and have many followers in Sydney.\
Be prepared.
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Mitta Yogi wrote:
Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know, I might be able to help. What an adventure!
I appreciate the detailed information you provided. I feel like I know the place better now. And it seems like a good place to go! My main concern right now is, will I be able to board a plane with a bowl bag, or do I need somekind of a more modern bag. I was told I need to declare my bowl stand when entering Australia, because it's made out of wood. Interesting country this Australia.