Tea on Retreats

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Chi

Tea on Retreats

Post by Chi »

Hello Everyone!

Just came back from a 3-month retreat at GAIA House. It was wonderful!

I didn't drink much tea, as I was practicing renunciation as best I could, and saw it as a distraction. Maybe this is wrong view? What's your experience with tea on long retreats? Does it calm the mind? Agitate the mind?

Thanks for your responses.

Be Happy!
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
tiltbillings

Re: Tea on Retreats

Post by tiltbillings »

Chi wrote:Hello Everyone!

Just came back from a 3-month retreat at GAIA House. It was wonderful!

I didn't drink much tea, as I was practicing renunciation as best I could, and saw it as a distraction. Maybe this is wrong view? What's your experience with tea on long retreats? Does it calm the mind? Agitate the mind?
The only to find out is to try it. And it is a distraction if you make it so.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
deloriisbrady

Post by deloriisbrady »

It neither agitates, nor relaxes. It’s what your mind probably wants it too.
See, I basically don't like tea but when I am ill I have it for energy. So its just about the likability and belief.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Chi wrote: Just came back from a 3-month retreat at GAIA House. It was wonderful!
Awesome! How much did that cost? $$$
Chi wrote: I didn't drink much tea, as I was practicing renunciation as best I could, and saw it as a distraction. Maybe this is wrong view? What's your experience with tea on long retreats? Does it calm the mind? Agitate the mind?
My mind is so full of defilements, so cutting out tea as a source of distraction, as you say, would remove about 0.003% of the distraction is my head.
Tea works for me as a mild stimulant, so I have a cup after lunch, so I don't fall asleep during afternoon meditation. I use tea as a tool to make my meditation better.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
jonno

Post by jonno »

Being British tea is not only a tradition but is also COMPULSORY :woohoo: Thich nhat hanh teaches the benefits of sharing tea with someone and to sip it mindfully. In my little sangha we have a simple tea ceremony after Zazen and we find the sharing a beautiful experience kind of a group mindfulness exercise. I would think that sipping a cup of tea mindfully would aid ones concentration and to be of benefit. It's not the tea that counts but rather the attitude with which it is drank. Add a tot of holy brandy and it will become even more meaningful. :tongue: namaste jonno
Chi

Post by Chi »

James the Giant wrote: Awesome! How much did that cost? $$$
It was roughly $4000 for 90 days after all the travel expenses.
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.