Going to Australia.

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Thanavuddho

Re: Going to Australia.

Post by Thanavuddho »

Last edited by Thanavuddho on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Ben wrote:Hi Bhante,
Sounds great! That area between Sydney and 'the Gong' is beautiful.
I only wish you were coming down to Tassie instead!
with metta,

Ben
Meaby I will get an opportunity to see that island. Meaby I will walk there.
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanavuddho wrote:
Ben wrote:Hi Bhante,
Sounds great! That area between Sydney and 'the Gong' is beautiful.
I only wish you were coming down to Tassie instead!
with metta,

Ben
Meaby I will get an opportunity to see that island. Meaby I will walk there.
Its a long way from Sydney, Bhante.
And there is Bass Strait separating the mainland from Tasmania.
But if you do wish to come to Tasmania - please let me know.
Its very beautiful down here.

BTW - don't be too concerned about declaring your bowl stand. A customs official will look it over to ensure it doesn't have any borer holes.
Australian Customs are vigilant about not letting in bugs and diseases.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mitta Yogi

Post by Mitta Yogi »

Oh my goodness yes! Customs ( as in boarder control) at the airport is very important. Because Australia is a relatively remote island they are very strict at what is allowed to enter the country. Anything made with wood or resins needs to be declared and food too. When in doubt just declare it anyway. Also if you have been walking in woods or forests and your footwear is not clean they will need you to clean it. It is so that any soil or bugs don't come into the country that may carry different diseases that might affect the wildlife.

It is strict but not scary and they are usually very helpful at the airports.

All the best,

With Metta,
Sophia
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

For my visa, I was send to the doctor to take an x-ray of my chest. The doctor did other tests as well. I guess it was to make sure I didn't have any disease that could spread.
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
bhante dhamma

Remember me?

Post by bhante dhamma »

:buddha1: Why hello brother in the Darma!!, lest ye forget me, I'm the monk who ordained with you the first time round in Thailand..he.he, 2nd time lucky no? I've stopped using my ordained name now, well half of it at least, wow off to AUZ! SADHU, If I would have known you we're coming I would have hung around, I was just in melbourne at the B.S.V Buddhist Society of Victoria, doing a visa to go to Indonesia which is we're I'm off to tommorrow, for at least another six months. There is an American monk coming to teach a retreat in Bali in January and I;m half upattaking half sitting, his name is vimala rangsi, he has stuff on youtube. Post your email or phone number and I'll come and visit, we can go on tudong, Luang Poh Liam said to try Darwin..lots of faithful Thai laypeople, my email is [email protected] or [email protected] :buddha2:

Bhante Darma
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Mitta Yogi wrote:Oh my goodness yes! Customs ( as in boarder control) at the airport is very important. Because Australia is a relatively remote island they are very strict at what is allowed to enter the country. Anything made with wood or resins needs to be declared and food too. When in doubt just declare it anyway. Also if you have been walking in woods or forests and your footwear is not clean they will need you to clean it. It is so that any soil or bugs don't come into the country that may carry different diseases that might affect the wildlife.

It is strict but not scary and they are usually very helpful at the airports.

All the best,

With Metta,
Sophia
All true. They let wooden things through if there is no danger of transmitting fungus, etc, but you have to declare them so that they can be checked. I came back from Vietnam with a bamboo flute and they looked at it and said it was fine - "clean enough" were the words - but it might have been confiscated if I hadn't declared it in the first place.
:namaste:
Kim
cooran

Post by cooran »

I came back from the Bodhi Tree in India with some leaves that had fallen from it at my feet - I declared them - Customs took them from me, soaked them in a chemical, they turned brown like dead leaves. I've still got them though. :smile:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Thanavuddho

Re: Remember me?

Post by Thanavuddho »

dvemebhikkhave wrote::buddha1: Why hello brother in the Darma!!, lest ye forget me, I'm the monk who ordained with you the first time round in Thailand..he.he, 2nd time lucky no? I've stopped using my ordained name now, well half of it at least, wow off to AUZ! SADHU, If I would have known you we're coming I would have hung around, I was just in melbourne at the B.S.V Buddhist Society of Victoria, doing a visa to go to Indonesia which is we're I'm off to tommorrow, for at least another six months. There is an American monk coming to teach a retreat in Bali in January and I;m half upattaking half sitting, his name is vimala rangsi, he has stuff on youtube. Post your email or phone number and I'll come and visit, we can go on tudong, Luang Poh Liam said to try Darwin..lots of faithful Thai laypeople, my email is [email protected] or [email protected] :buddha2:

Bhante Darma
I will e-mail you as soon as I have time. Good to see you.
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Ajahn send 45 kilos of books with me.
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

"I am indeed the Sangha's servant, the Sangha is my Lord and Guide"

I got the books with me, but not without a strugle