a meditation vision?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Re: a meditation vision?

Post by mikenz66 »

Yana wrote: I understand the importance of maintaining continuity having practiced this before,
but it is a set back if you haven't developed one pointed concentration. It is much better to develop mindfulness in a wake position than it is near sleep....:
Well, of course this is a matter of opinion and experience and different teachers and student are likely to have different advice. Personally I don't do one-pointed concentration much. And I've never had a lucid dream or the other specific problems you describe. Of course, everyone has obstacles, but I've not had problems associated with maintaining attention as much as possible when close to sleep.

:anjali:
Mike
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Yana wrote: We all should practice Mindfulness but it's better to practice it in a position where there are less distractions,obstacles and hindrances.

I think it depend on what is the aim of practice.

If the aim is "relaxing" - calm is better.
If the aim is developing - obstacles are the factor of developing.

More wood, more fire.

IMO
:namaste:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

mmm wrote:wonderful replies, thank you to everyone. I feel like i should intensify my practice the more i am surrounded by kalyanamitta :thanks:

You're very welcome, mmm. :)
Yana

Post by Yana »

mikenz66 wrote: Well, of course this is a matter of opinion and experience and different teachers and student are likely to have different advice. Personally I don't do one-pointed concentration much. And I've never had a lucid dream or the other specific problems you describe. Of course, everyone has obstacles, but I've not had problems associated with maintaining attention as much as possible when close to sleep.

Mike
Dear Mike,

Mike,your a fortunate man :anjali: I realized not a lot of people share the same obstacles which is incredibly frustrating,but Mmm's experience is very similar to mine so i felt compelled to hand her some practical approach that has worked for me.But i don't know if it will work for her perfectly.Ultimately,each of us has to investigate on our own and see what works and what doesn't.Of course i would never object to any one who wants to practice mindfulness of the breath near sleep. If they have no such obstacle then i urge them to practice mindfulness all the time. :meditate:

Other practical approaches that has helped me deal with this problem is focusing on Sila,Dana,and Virtue.So Mmm,if you deal with this obstacle regularly and it really inhibits you like it inhibits me from meditating,it would be beneficial to focus on Sila(Morality),Dana (Generosity),and Virtue and maybe increase your time on sitting meditation or walking meditation.Or just make use of the precious time your have when your awake. :hug:

Metta :heart:
Life is preparing for Death