DNA/being present...

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
appicchato

DNA/being present...

Post by appicchato »

If this topic has been broached in another thread, sorry...

http://preventdisease.com/news/12/11181 ... dium=email" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
badscooter

Re: DNA/being present...

Post by badscooter »

very interesting... thanks for sharing

with metta

:smile:
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Since this study relied on self-reported attentional state, she said, further studies directly measuring presence and mind wandering will be needed.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

According to the findings, published online in the new Association for Psychological Science journal Clinical Psychological Science, those who reported more mind wandering had shorter telomeres, while those who reported more presence in the moment, or having a greater focus and engagement with their current activities, had longer telomeres, even after adjusting for current stress.
Due to the shortness of my telomeres, my mind wanders all over the place rather than the present moment. "What did I do in the past that made them so short? What can I do in the future to mitigate the damage?"
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Sam Vara wrote:Due to the shortness of my telomeres, my mind wanders all over the place...
You're not alone...it's a miracle I have any at all (if I, indeed, do), never mind their length...
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Sam Vara wrote:
According to the findings, published online in the new Association for Psychological Science journal Clinical Psychological Science, those who reported more mind wandering had shorter telomeres, while those who reported more presence in the moment, or having a greater focus and engagement with their current activities, had longer telomeres, even after adjusting for current stress.
Due to the shortness of my telomeres, my mind wanders all over the place rather than the present moment. "What did I do in the past that made them so short? What can I do in the future to mitigate the damage?"
Well, there is a well-known process that solves the telomere problem by replenishing them, making cells essentially immortal. It is called cancer.
_/|\_
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Dan74 wrote:
Sam Vara wrote:
Well, there is a well-known process that solves the telomere problem by replenishing them, making cells essentially immortal. It is called cancer.
Hmmm.....

Would I get a few months of really firm mindfulness? How does that compare with a few years of mental wandering?

Choices, choices...