How to release a caught bug without looking crazy

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
purple planet

How to release a caught bug without looking crazy

Post by purple planet »

I live in a ground house i have a road in front of it with a walkway on both sides and then an open field there are always people and i do care a little about not looking hippie :lol:

without getting in to the whole should i care what they think - i would like to hear of ways on how to throw the bugs away without to much attention

if i understand right there are some people here who dont kill bugs also - how do you deal with this ?
Monkey Mind

Re: How to release a caught bug without looking crazy

Post by Monkey Mind »

I capture spiders with a small drinking glass and an index card. I then walk out to the front porch, lean over the fence, and shake the glass empty into a bush on the other side of the fence. If the neighbors think it is strange, no one has ever said as much or asked any questions.

My coworkers, on the other hand, know the drill. Whether or not they kill spiders on my days off, I have no idea. But often when I come into work, they let let me know that there is a spider in the office and they watch me catch-and-release.

One time I had a mouse problem. I set live-capture traps, then I would drive the traps out to a rural/ wooded area and released the traps. I did this every day for a week, and then I didn't see any more mice or signs of mice. If this had gone on for more than a few days, I would have called a professional pest removal service.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I catch insects in a (washed) coffee jar,slide a piece of card gently over the top and release them outside in a suitable place. If they can fly then sometimes it can be done through a window. I'm not bothered about what other people think ... they're used to it by now anyway !

I enjoyed seeing a couple of bees flying up high into the sky when released outside recently. I said "Goodbye, be well" but they didn't look back and reply with a buzz. :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

I also use the methods listed above to catch and remove spiders.
I also catch venomous snakes and relocate them out of harms way.
I've never really cared what other people think of me doing this. If anything - in most people its generated respect.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

<--- Is glad he doesn't have to deal with venomous snakes...
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Monkey Mind wrote:<--- Is glad he doesn't have to deal with venomous snakes...
Yes, me too !
Ben

Post by Ben »

Most people, certainly around here, have a crippling fear of snakes which increases their risk if they confront one. Its the fear or aversion that puts people in danger because people start behaving irrationally.

If you can overcome your fear, be vigilant with regards to personal safety and treat snakes with respect then there shouldn't be a problem.
In the state where I live, about five people a year get bitten by a tiger snake (which is the most venomous of all three snake species) and has enough venom in one bight to fell a clydesdale. The vast majority of those bights have been the result of people mistreating the reptile or untrained people attempting to handle it.
I don't capture snakes without the right equipment and I don't take any unnecessary risks to myself or others.
I actually prefer to deal with snakes than spiders or rodents.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

alan

Post by alan »

Ben is just being modest. He really knows how to handle a deadly snake!
Puts me in mind of MN 22. Have you read it? It's a good one.
Ben

Post by Ben »

alan wrote:Ben is just being modest. He really knows how to handle a deadly snake!
Puts me in mind of MN 22. Have you read it? It's a good one.
Thank you Alan - you are very kind.
I have read MN22, but its been a while. When I get back to the cottage tonight I'll open Bhikkhu Bodhi and Bhikkhu Nanamoli's translation and have a read.
with metta,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Aloka wrote:
Monkey Mind wrote:<--- Is glad he doesn't have to deal with venomous snakes...
Yes, me too !
You're both saying you're glad you don't live in Australia - we have (IIRC) eight of the ten deadliest snakes in the world.
:thinking:
But I agree. I prefer not to deal with snakes unless I am sure they are non-venomous. Spiders are easier, IMO, because they can't move as fast as I can.

:namaste:
Kim
Tex

Post by Tex »

I have a small Tupperware container that I use to remove bugs from the house. If they're on the floor, it's pretty easy to get them to walk right into it if you're very slow about it. If they're on the wall, I put the container flush against the wall below them and use the lid to brush them into the container. Then I set them free outside. I don't think any of my neighbors have even noticed and frankly I wouldn't care if they did. Flying insects are harder because I have 8 foot ceilings. All I can do is open the screen door and hope they figure it out and don't fly low enough for the German Shepherd to notice.

Once at work a couple of years ago, some crickets got inside. A couple of them were smashed under people's feet, intentionally and somewhat gleefully it seemed. I saw one and managed to catch him in cupped hands as he jumped (took more than one try, lol). I walked down the hall and set him free outside. I'm sure I got some strange looks and probably a few comments were made. We, especially in America and other places in "the West", have to realize that we live a lifestyle that is completely foreign to most of our countrymen. Many people here see a deer with a beautiful rack of horns as a trophy for their wall and smash any bug they see whether it's even a threat to them or not. They don't, won't, and probably can't understand the compassion that Buddhists practice toward animals. So let them think we're crazy. Who cares?
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
tattoogunman

Post by tattoogunman »

I also try to catch and release when I can. I find little lizards in my office building that I catch all the time. Just pick them up and put them outside. My cats usually take care of any rodent problems, but I haven't had any since moving to Texas :tongue: