Eating at restaurants

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
pilgrim

Eating at restaurants

Post by pilgrim »

Sometimes when fetching a monk to or from the airport, I am compelled to stop at a cafe or restaurant for lunch because of time constraints. I wish to inquire:
1. are there any rules which forbid a monk from eating at a restaurant?
2. are there any rules which forbid a monk and layman from eating at the same table ( but not sharing food) ?
I can't find answers to these specific situations in Ven Ariyesako's "A Guide for Laypeople"
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... guide.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rgds
Goofaholix

Re: Eating at restaurants

Post by Goofaholix »

I believe the answer is no to both of those questions. As long as the food is offered properly and before noon it shouldn't matter where you are.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Here in Thailand it's no, and yes...don't know if there's a rule, or not, but you don't see Thai monks and lay people sharing the same table...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

1. are there any rules which forbid a monk from eating at a restaurant?
No there are rules about eating at a communal food distribution place (name?) but these would not be an issue here.

2. are there any rules which forbid a monk and layman from eating at the same table ( but not sharing food) ?
no, obviously there are rules about things being properly offered and as long as that is kept then there should be no problem. but ask the monks/transport co-ordinator for clarification on popper protocol.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill