Immediate rebirth

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
cooran

Immediate rebirth

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

I wonder if someone can clarify this for me please - what is the scriptural
basis for instantaneous rebirth? Is immediate rebirth mentioned anywhere in the
Sutta Pitaka?

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Re: Immediate rebirth

Post by Ben »

Hi all

Just a reminder that in answering this question, please provide evidence exclusively from the suttas.
Many thanks!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:Hi all

Just a reminder that in answering this question, please provide evidence exclusively from the suttas.
Many thanks!

Ben
It is likely, however, an Abhidhamma doctrine.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Tilt
Yes, I can put my finger on a reference in ACM, but I too would be interested to see if there is support for the concept of instantaneous rebirth in the Suttas.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Does this count?

From...

MN 117: Mahacattarisaka Sutta
http://www.vipassana.com/canon/majjhima/mn117.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"And what is the right view that has fermentations, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has fermentations, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.
Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Retro,

I believe "spontaneous" just refers to beings not born from a womb. I don't believe there is any evidence in the Suttas for instantaneous rebirth, which is probably why the different early schools disagreed, and have different Abhidhammas/Abhidharmas.

Metta
Mike
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Chris wrote:I wonder if someone can clarify this for me please - what is the scriptural
basis for instantaneous rebirth? Is immediate rebirth mentioned anywhere in the
Sutta Pitaka?
Isn't it implicit in the sutta teachings regarding anicca and anatta? Such as this:
The perceiving of impermanence, bhikkhus, developed and frequently practiced, removes all sensual passion, removes all passion for material existence, removes all passion for becoming, removes all ignorance, removes and abolishes all conceit of "I am."

— SN 22.102
My question would be, what do we imagine might linger and not be subject to jaati? What do we imagine persists between jaati moments, and how long do we imagine it persists?
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Jechbi,

I am specifically wanting to see where the Buddha clearly taught in the Suttas, that, on the death of the physical body, the taking up of another set of khandas is instantaneous.

metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Here, friend, as I was coming down from Mount Vulture Peak, I saw a skeleton moving through the air. Vultures, crows, and hawks, following it in hot pursuit, were pecking at it between the ribs, stabbing it, and tearing it apart, while it uttered cries of pain. It occurred to me: It is wonderful, indeed! It is amazing, indeed! That there could be such a being, that there could be such a spirit, that there could be such a form of individual existence!

Then the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus thus: Bhikkhus there are disciples who dwell having become vision, having become knowledge, in that a disciple can know, see, and witness such a sight. In the past, bhikkhus, I too saw that being, but I did not speak about it. For if I had spoken about it, others would not have believed me, and if they had not believed me that would have led to their harm and suffering for a long time [by not following the Path].

That being, bhikkhus, used to be a cattle butcher in this same Rajagaha. Having been tormented in hell for many years, for many hundreds of years, for many thousands of years, for many hundreds of thousands of years as a result of that kamma, as a residual result of that same kamma he is experiencing such a form of individual existence
.”
Samyutta Nikaya 19.1

In the above quote, the being is a "skeleton moving through the air." I suppose that could be interpreted in two ways:

1. The skeleton is some peta realm, suffering there.
2. The skeleton is the butcher "on his way" to the next realm, wherever that may be.

I think the Suttas seem to support the first option above as there are other stories of beings in the peta realms like that.

I suppose the old adage, "if it was that important, the scripture would mention it" might work here. If there was an intermediate realm, why didn't the Buddha talk about it more, i.e., at length and explain the process, what prayers if any could be used (like in Vajrayana) to assist the departed. But instead the Buddha is notably silent on any intermediate existence.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

I'd be interested in your thoughts after reading this:

Is Rebirth Immediate - A Study of Canonical Sources ~ Piya Tan
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:EXW ... lr=lang_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
thornbush

Post by thornbush »

I will answer the OP with a question from one Sutta I found.....
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I designate the rebirth of one who has sustenance, Vaccha, and not of one without sustenance.
Just as a fire burns with sustenance and not without sustenance, even so I designate the rebirth of one who has sustenance and not of one without sustenance."

"But, Master Gotama, at the moment a flame is being swept on by the wind and goes a far distance, what do you designate as its sustenance then?"

"Vaccha, when a flame is being swept on by the wind and goes a far distance, I designate it as wind-sustained, for the wind is its sustenance at that time."

"And at the moment when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, what do you designate as its sustenance then?"

"Vaccha, when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time."
So it seems that reading this Sutta plus some of what others have supplied 'immediate' can range from one 'moment' or 'moments'....what do ya all think? :reading:
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Hi Chris,
Chris wrote:I'd be interested in your thoughts after reading this:
Is Rebirth Immediate - A Study of Canonical Sources ~ Piya Tan
After reading that, it seems to me that when the suttas make reference to how long rebirth takes, it's discussed in the framework of the being known as a "gandhabba" that is described in conventional terms as persisting for some time.

All of a sudden I remembered this thread.
A couple insights from Ven. Dhammanando lifted from that thread:
Dhammanando wrote:In conventional truth a gandhabba is a being who has just passed away with ignorance and craving unextinguished, and who is propelled by kamma to the ovum as it's being fertilized.
Dhammanando wrote:... the Theravada rejected the idea of an intermediate state at the Council of Patali.
Dhammanando wrote:... in the schools that teach the intermediate state, the being in this state is said to have all the aggregates.
Dhammanando wrote:I would say that conventional speech is not really adequate for describing the mechanism of rebirth, beyond the bare suttaic account of mum, dad and gandhabba. For more detail than that we need to frame the question and answer in abhidhammic terms.
If that last point is correct, then the answer to this ...
Chris wrote:I am specifically wanting to see where the Buddha clearly taught in the Suttas, that, on the death of the physical body, the taking up of another set of khandas is instantaneous.
... isn't likely to be found. But it appears the khandas would be understood to be already present if one takes a gandhabba as an intermediate being. The khandas already would be taken up, so the suttas interpreted that way would seem to support the instantaneous understanding. Unless I'm missing something here (and please let me know if that's the case!).

Metta

(p.s., where is Bhante these days?)
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jechbi,
Jechbi wrote:(p.s., where is Bhante these days?)
Vassa.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jechbi

Bhante has just started a four-month retreat at an Ajahn Naeb meditation centre for his vassa.
Kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello jechbi, all,

Thank you for your efforts. I find it hard to understand why there is no mention of immediate rebirth in the Suttas themselves - what Ven. Dhammanando mentions is from later teachings. I don't feel that the question in the OP has been answered:
Is immediate rebirth mentioned anywhere in the Sutta Pitaka?
metta
Chris