Craving of essentials?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
nrose619

Craving of essentials?

Post by nrose619 »

I understand the second noble truth that craving and desire are the source of suffering, but what about essential things like food and water? sometimes I can get really hungry and crave food. Is it wrong to crave things like food or water? and if it is, in what way should I handle them?
"A silver bird
flies over the autumn lake.
When it has passed,
the lake's surface does not try
to hold on to the image of the bird."
Ben

Re: Craving of essentials?

Post by Ben »

Hi nrose,

If we are truly thirsty and hungry - it is a physical response to dehydration or the body requiring nutrient.
If we eat when we are hungry and drink when we are thirsty - then that is fine.
The issue with thirst and hunger is that for many people, the effective response to those sensations is intense aversion and fear.
If we cannot eat when we are hungry or drink when we are thirsty then we should merely observe those particular sensations, and any co-arising mental states and thoughts, with a degree of equanimity and objectivity - like a detached observer - until we are able to eat and drink.
The other complication is that many people confuse hunger and thirst for craving for a particular food or drink.
If we are craving particular types of food or drink then we should be observing the phenomenological aspects of craving at that time without mentally indulging or 'rolling' in the craving. The phenomenological aspects of craving and aversion are kaya (body process), vedana (sensation), citta (mental state) and dhamma (mental content/thought).
I am not suggesting that one should not eat or drink or eat or drink particualr things, but to take the time to observe what is going on when we are hungry and thirsty and when we are craving particular things.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:goodpost:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
nrose619

Post by nrose619 »

Thanks Ben very insightful :anjali:
"A silver bird
flies over the autumn lake.