spiritual realms?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
nrose619

spiritual realms?

Post by nrose619 »

I heard somewhere that types of Buddhism confirm the existence of "spiritual realms" do any of you have info on this? I have a hard time believing the Buddha would teach such things.
"A silver bird
flies over the autumn lake.
When it has passed,
the lake's surface does not try
to hold on to the image of the bird."
Khalil Bodhi

Re: spiritual realms?

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Why would you have a hard time believing that? The law of Kamma makes such realms almost a necessity and the suttas often speak of brahmas and devas, not to mention petas and asuras. Take what you will from the teachings but, as we have them, they are filled with references to "spiritual realms" (if I have understood your question). :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
nrose619

Post by nrose619 »

Thank you for the reply. I recently have been moving away from the ideas of spirits, demons, and gods (Christianity) and when I discovered Buddhism it clicked with me and I began to feel at peace. I was just surprised that the Theravada practice confirmed spiritual realms, I always thought that was more involved in Mahayana Buddhism.
"A silver bird
flies over the autumn lake.
When it has passed,
the lake's surface does not try
to hold on to the image of the bird."
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

I wouldn't get too hung up n the details. If I were you and I didn't want to bother with such things I would try to practice and concern myself only with developing and strengthening Right View (i.e., that your intentional acts have an ethical dimension with real results) and letting the details come together on their own. May you find peace and lasting happiness! :heart:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
plwk

Post by plwk »

If these are of any assistance... 1 2 3 4
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

nrose619 wrote:Thank you for the reply. I recently have been moving away from the ideas of spirits, demons, and gods (Christianity) and when I discovered Buddhism it clicked with me and I began to feel at peace. I was just surprised that the Theravada practice confirmed spiritual realms, I always thought that was more involved in Mahayana Buddhism.
I've got some bad news and some good news for you.
First the bad:
You'll find that Buddhism (including Theravada Buddhism) is filled with superstitions, spirits, other realms, planes of existence, gods, demons, rebirth, miracles, flying monks, talking animals, and karma.
But the good news is that none of that really matters, and just like a delicious plate of food with some nasty boiled brussels sprouts on it, you can eat the good stuff and push the brussels sprouts aside or give them to the dog.
What really matters is morality, mediation, and the cultivation of wisdom. The 8-fold path.
It works just the same.

(okay, it may be easier for the person who does believe all that stuff, as they aren't so much assailed by doubt, and the wackiness does offer convenient solutions to some problems, but still, it works.)
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Tex

Post by Tex »

You might find this interesting reading. Note the links on the right to passages from the Majjhima Nikaya and Anguttara Nikaya with more details.

The 31 planes of existence:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... /loka.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus