We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mr Man

Re: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

Post by Mr Man »

alan wrote:I'm sorry, Mr. Man, but I don't get what you are trying to say. Since it appears English is not your first language, maybe in the future you'll take more time thinking about how best to express your opinions.
For instance, you would be well advised to research the idea of "false premise".
Why the OP is a false premise is because no one gave an "argument otherwise" which caused your "astonishment". Should I also research "cheap shot"?
Last edited by Mr Man on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Kusala wrote:

Hey Mr. Man, I'm of the opinion that man has a tendency to corrupt things and the Dhamma is no exception. The suttas are the closet thing to the Buddha and Dhamma.
I agree that over time things will eventually change and then pass away however in practical terms contemporary teachers are of great benefit - essential even. In my opinion the Buddha and Dhamma is still being manifest through the Sangha.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mr Man wrote:I agree that over time things will eventually change and then pass away however in practical terms contemporary teachers are of great benefit - essential even.
I can see your point, but I also think "contemporary" has it's limitations.
A modern observer might say: "As Buddhism established itself in Tibet in the 8th century it was heavily influenced by the Bon religion." But similarly an observer a few hundred years hence might say: "As Buddhism established itself in the developed world in the 21st century it was heavily influenced by western materialism."
Buddha save me from new-agers!
alan

Post by alan »

So we all agree that reading the suttas is important? Great. And we all agree that the suttas are the basis of all teachings. And I won't hear any disagreements, right?
alan

Post by alan »

All too often I see people abandon reason when the "get religion". Don't let this happen to you, friends.
Reason can be your best friend in a confusing world. Use it. How best to be a reasonable person who is into Buddhism? By reading the suttas, and practicing. Understanding the basics is essential.
How do you learn the basics? By reading the suttas.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

The suttas are cool.

8-)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
alan

Post by alan »

Damn straight they are Retro!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

alan wrote:So we all agree that reading the suttas is important? Great. And we all agree that the suttas are the basis of all teachings. And I won't hear any disagreements, right?
Yes, the suttas are the best thing since sliced bread.
:woohoo:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

:candle: :buddha1: [D][M][_S_][_A_][__K__] :buddha1: :candle:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
cbonanno

Post by cbonanno »

alan wrote:I'm astonished to see any argument otherwise. Where would we be without them?
You don't have to revere them, but if you are a Buddhist, everything you know, or think you know, comes from the original teachings. We can argue about points, we can disagree about how best to practice. But we all owe a debt of gratitude to the Buddha for teaching. Where best to find that? In the suttas, of course. They are the best representation of his teachings, and you should read them.
While we know the Dhamma because of the suttas, we do not need the suttas to know the Dhamma.

The Suttas are like a raft, yes? :) Just know that you are using them to cross the stream rather than be pulled by its currents.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

:candle: :buddha1: [D][M][..S..][1..11][K] :buddha1: :candle:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

santa100 wrote::candle: :buddha1: [D][M][..S..][1..11][K] :buddha1: :candle:
?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Oh sorry, guess my decoding of Dave's message makes it worse... :smile: They're the 5 Great Books: Digha, Majjhima, etc..
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

alan wrote:And we all agree that the suttas are the basis of all teachings. And I won't hear any disagreements, right?
No. The Buddha is the basis of his teachings. He's on record (in the Vinaya) saying he didn't want his teachings written down. Add this to the message of the Kalama Sutta and you have a powerful reason not to invest absolute faith in the suttas, but rather to read them critically.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

danieLion wrote:
alan wrote:And we all agree that the suttas are the basis of all teachings. And I won't hear any disagreements, right?
No. The Buddha is the basis of his teachings. He's on record (in the Vinaya) saying he didn't want his teachings written down. Add this to the message of the Kalama Sutta and you have a powerful reason not to invest absolute faith in the suttas, but rather to read them critically.
Well, the Buddha's dead, so if you would kindly show me the writing where the Buddha says he doesn't want his teachings written down I would appreciate it.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."