Scientists killed half a million animals in Victoria alone

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Dan74

Scientists killed half a million animals in Victoria alone

Post by Dan74 »

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/scien ... 2ao42.html

This article appeared today and this seeming acceptance of the notion that animals are expendable have been on my mind for a while. I am glad this is a news item and hopefully there will be a debate.

The tricky thing is that of course some people are doing important work and experimenting on some lab mice may well lead to saving thousands of human lives. And others are training to do important work. Where do you draw the line?

That said I am quite sure the combined total of scientific discoveries in Victoria last year is not going to save half a million human lives. So would it be OK if we saved 50 000 human lives (1:10 ratio)? 5 000? What justifies taking an animal life?

I know from the view of the precepts, nothing. One may argue that experimentation on animals is a recent practice and the precept on not taking life should be applied flexibly when lives can be saved.

In any case I am interested to hear people's thoughts on this both as Buddhists and as citizens especially with a view to working out a better approach than the existing one and taking some action to have it implemented.
_/|\_
DAWN

Re: Scientists killed half a million animals in Victoria alone

Post by DAWN »

Stupid peoples.
They try to survive more time. For doing what? There is nothink to do here.

:shrug:

I have no medicaments at home, and i'am happy. And i think, i will never more accept any medicament. It's a product of suffering.

With metta :|
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Dan.
That is interesting.
Years ago when I worked for a major metropolitan teaching hospital in melbourne, I knew that not too long ago, they had their own 'monkey house' where medical researchers could perform experimental medicine and surgery on them. I knew that one program led to the development of the first successful heart/lung by-pass machine.
Its an interesting conundrum that many of us benefit as the result of animals that had been used in medical experiments that were designed by people with excellent intentions for the welfare of (human) others.
kind regrds,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Just to complete.

Once Stalin said : 1 dead - is a tragedy, 1 billion of dead - is a statistic.
:spy:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Ben wrote:excellent intentions for the welfare of (human) others.
kind regrds,

Ben
I heared that good intention + bad action = asura's kamma. :thinking:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

If you call it medical research, you can get away with murder. What would the mouse say if they were asked "Would you like to sacrifice your life to help humans live longer?" If it's unethical to do the research on humans, then it's unethical to do it on thinking, feeling animals! This research for humans should be done on humans! At least they can volunteer for it.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

I dont want contredict Ben, but i have some doubts about heir good motivation to help peoples firt of all.
As i know, there is many illness without any scientific resirch and good medicaments because of economical non-rentability. :?
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...