Sangha Vows

Where members are free to take ideas from the Theravāda Canon out of the Theravāda framework. Here you can question rebirth, kamma (and other contentious issues) as well as examine Theravāda's connection to other paths
beeblebrox

Sangha Vows

Postby beeblebrox » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:09 pm

I practice with a few groups who follow Ven. Nhat Hanh's teachings... someone shared this recently which I thought were quite practical, and I liked it. (In this tradition a "sangha" refers to a community of practitioners.)

1. Conflicts are inevitable, when caught in habit-energy. Anchored in conscious breathing, I vow to greet them with love and kindness.

2. Unwholesome mental formations -- resentment, disappointment, fear, jealousy, anger, depression, despair, discouragement, doubt -- are unavoidable when caught in habit-energy. Anchored in conscious breathing, I vow to recognize, acknowledge and transform them.

3. Attachment and aversion are inescapable, when caught in habit-energy. Anchored in conscious breathing, I vow to see them, smile to them, and let them go.

4. Sangha's well-being nourishes my well-being. My well-being nourishes sangha's well-being. Anchored in conscious breathing, I vow to water the seeds of joy, understanding and inclusiveness in myself and all beings.

:sage:

imagemarie

Re: Sangha Vows

Postby imagemarie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:06 pm

I liked it too. Thanks for posting.

:anjali:

Return to “Fringe Theravāda Discussion”