Jhana - for what doing?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DAWN

Re: Jhana - for what doing?

Post by DAWN »

Thanks you mike for quotations :anjali:
David N. Snyder wrote:
DAWN wrote: Everybody suffer.
Why?
Because there is teachers who teach jhana as pleasure, they dont teach jhana as equnanimity, they teach jhana by clining, they dont teach jhana by detachement and dispassion, they teach jhana by attainement, they dont teach jhana by liberation.
I don't know any reputable monks or nuns who teach by clinging; perhaps you are referring to some self-proclaimed lay teachers "specializing" in jhana instruction?
Yes.
Actualy i dont know many teachers who teach jhana, but in some recently watched vidios about it, i heared to much about pleasure, with to much discriptions and emotions, but very less about nature of this pleasure. Perharps it's due to my own perception.

It's certenly because of good motivatio, to motivate peoples in practice, but it seems to me not to much skillfull and even dengerous to speak about pleasure and use it like motivation to practice.

IMO :thinking:

Vive Septfold path ! Less work to do ! :woohoo: :tongue:

:anjali:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
daverupa

Re: Jhana - for what doing?

Post by daverupa »

Modus.Ponens wrote:The Buddha not only encouraged to practice jhana as also said it was pleasure that should not be feared.
Quite so! MN 66:
This is called renunciation-pleasure, seclusion-pleasure, calm-pleasure, self-awakening-pleasure. And of this pleasure I say that it is to be cultivated, to be developed, to be pursued, that it is not to be feared.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]