posture as foundation of mindfulness

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
befriend

four foundations of mindfulness

Postby befriend » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:38 am

kind of confused on how to be aware of my posture. is the awareness supposed to be a constant stready stream, do i feel with my minds eye the feelings inside my body, or do i just understand that i am standing. metta, befriend
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: four foundations of mindfulness

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:40 am

Greetings,

Basically you discern your present moment experience as it actually is, without appropriating it as "I" or "mine".

Discerning physicality by means of feeling or body is equally valid ~ the key is to not appropriate the experience.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:33 am

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 am

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:26 pm

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:59 pm

When you see how it arise and falls, when you know that it's conditioned you naturaly see automatism of this systhem which is samsara, its anatta, not i, not mine, not my self etc.

If the one is awere, he can see that it's not he who write the message on the forum, he have no even the time to think : "should i write it or not" its just writen, and only when it's finished the one can take dessision to change or not, and even this changing is conditioned by the past, and so - anatta, not i, not mine, not what i am.

Autonomous. Free.

:anjali:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:05 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 pm

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:28 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:07 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:56 am

DAWN

Postby DAWN » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:38 am

There is a state beyond thoughts, so the mind can still calm, untuched, smouth, slear, bright even in presence of thoughts.

Actualy, thoughts, in my opinion, is the most easy to be detached from, so, perharps, this method of association of thought with the body can help the one who is alredy free from thoughts to attach the body on this thought, and by this association be detached from both.

Also, i think, that, perharps, the method with thought like 'this body exist' is more effective with opened eyes. And the second, detachement by feeling of brightness of body, without thoughts, is more effective with closed eyes.
:thinking:

Friendly :anjali:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:26 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:11 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:37 pm

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:02 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:42 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:50 am

Greetings Mike,

I would think so, as they're all vitakka-vicara.

Metta,
Retro. :)

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:27 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:32 am

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”