Disregarding the Suttas is the height of arrogance.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
alan

Disregarding the Suttas is the height of arrogance.

Post by alan »

Friends,
Buddhism would not exist without the Suttas. You should read them, and make it your goal to understand. This is the basic starting point. Claiming to be a Buddhist without a basic knowledge of the fundamental teachings is just a fantasy. Don't indulge in fantasy. It will get you nowhere.
Dan74

Re: Disregarding the Suttas is the height of arrogance.

Post by Dan74 »

o-brother-where-art-thou-4.jpg
o-brother-where-art-thou-4.jpg (109.25 KiB) Viewed 4477 times
_/|\_
alan

Post by alan »

Which means what?
Please respect the topic. Pointless jokes are a waste of my time.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Alan, as much as I appreciate your enthusiasm, why do you feel the need to post another thread with the same content as your previous one just six days ago? :thinking: Most people here read and respect the suttas, we may have different interpretations, but we all refer to them.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

alan wrote:Friends,
Buddhism would not exist without the Suttas. You should read them, and make it your goal to understand. This is the basic starting point. Claiming to be a Buddhist without a basic knowledge of the fundamental teachings is just a fantasy. Don't indulge in fantasy. It will get you nowhere.
I'm of this opinion also.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

alan wrote:Which means what?
Please respect the topic. Pointless jokes are a waste of my time.
I guess it means that it sounded to me like you were at a pulpit, Alan, delivering a fiery sermon, as much as I love the sutras. I just don't feel that people need to be bashed over the head with this view and using expressions like "height of ignorance" that's what you seem to be doing.

But I prefer the pic, it's from O Brother, Where Art Thou?
_/|\_
marc108

Post by marc108 »

retrofuturist wrote:namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)

:twothumbsup: :goodpost:
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

Javi wrote:Most people here read and respect the suttas, we may have different interpretations
I have to agree. I think most disputes arise from different sutta interpretations rather than not regarding them as important.
nibbuti

Post by nibbuti »

BlueLotus wrote:
Javi wrote:Most people here read and respect the suttas, we may have different interpretations
I have to agree. I think most disputes arise from different sutta interpretations rather than not regarding them as important.
Indeed. Most people who read the suttas misinterpret them at first, which is only natural, then go to replace own misinterpretation with an acknowledged one.

:meditate:
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

What is good interpretation ?
What is bad interpretation ?

Relativily to what, depending on what it become good or bad?
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

alan wrote:Friends,
I don't recall the Suttas being mentioned in the refuge ? Why do you think, that Dhamma would only exist, if there is Suttas ?
Buddham saranam gacchami
I go for refuge to the Buddha;

Dhammam saranam gacchami
I go for refuge to the Dhamma;

Sangham saranam gacchami
I go for refuge to the Sangha.
Dhamma is not a book, Dhamma is not a collection of Suttas...

I see the Sutta Pitaka, as a (one possible) guide to finding/understanding the Dhamma. I'm sure there is many other routes/guides to finding the goal, even non-Buddhist. The only difference is the route and the means to get there.

And when all that is said/written, Buddhism/Buddhist is just words.

I notice that you are very persistent on the topic, of categorising the Suttas as some flavour of sacred. Why is it that important to you ? Is it important ?

Personally I am convinced, that the Dhamma would be there, even without the Suttas.

Gassho
_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I don't have a problem with people venerating the Suttas. Of course they are a means to the end, not the end in itself, but you could be venerating far worse things that that. Plus from venerating one is quite likely to apply them wholeheartedly. Not that the OP advocates venerating the Suttas.

I am also glad that many Mahayana teachers have come back to the Suttas. Not because it was essential but because it is helpful both to heal the rift between traditions and for Mahayana students themselves, many of whom, like me, find inspiration for our practice in the Pali canon.
_/|\_
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

nibbuti wrote: Indeed. Most people who read the suttas misinterpret them at first, which is only natural, then go to replace own misinterpretation with an acknowledged one.

:meditate:
Oh but "acknowledged" doesn't always mean "accurate" either. It so happens that "world is flat" was once highly acknowledged and incorrect. :meditate:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

One way to approach the issue:
  • "We don't use the Pali Canon as a basis for orthodoxy, we use the Pali Canon to investigate our experience." -- Ajahn Sumedho
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723