Is there a school in Buddhism that fits this view?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
beeblebrox

Re: Is there a school in Buddhism that fits this view?

Post by beeblebrox »

This also seems to be good to think about:
Disenchanted, he grows dispassionate. From dispassion, he is released. With release, there is the knowledge, 'Released.' He discerns, 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.' A monk whose mind is thus released does not take sides with anyone, does not dispute with anyone. He words things by means of what is said in the world but without grasping at it.
:anjali:
dude

Post by dude »

Aloka wrote:
dude wrote:"Is that a Mahayana Sutra ? I haven't read anything yet about the Buddha recommending punishments for people in the Nikayas".

Have you never, in your reading of the Nikayas, come across examples of punishment similar to that set forth for Channa in the Buddha's final exhortation?
That's not what I'd call 'punishment', it was an example of skilful means, because Channa became an arahant after the Buddha's death. Nor do I understand how it applies to the 'Secular Buddhists' refered to earlier. Does it mean they might become arahants too as a result of the reproaches, punishments and driving away that you mentioned ?
"Cv.XI reports events after the Parinibbana, telling of how news of the brahma-penalty shocked Channa to his senses. As a result, he changed his ways and eventually became an arahant"
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
After further reflection, I think I understand your objection now. The word "punishment" carries the connotation of retributive justice, harming an offender in payback for harm having been done to another. It might be more appropriate to call them disciplinary measures, since the intent, and at least in Channa's case the result, is the furtherance of the disciple's self training.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Aloka wrote:
Would someone be kind enough to name some of these people, please? Apart from I presume Steven Batchelor, I'm not at all sure who you are refering to.
Theyre everywhere, other than batchelor i cant think of any names right away. The podcast page on buddhistgeeks is a good place to see this sort of thing. They start out talking about buddhism and end up talking psychology and brain science.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig