Compassion and i am.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Papashaw

Compassion and i am.

Post by Papashaw »

I feel compassion, and a sort of zealousness when I see callousness to all beings, especially lower ones. I then thought of the distracting questions including why are animals one realm? If hell exists what could we do for those in such pain? (Tibetan Buddhism allows prayers and offerings to help those in the lower realms, I am not sure about Theravada.) If being reborn as a human is extremely rare, then what is the percentile split up of all beings in each place? Why do so many Buddhists see the world objectively, rather than believe in relative view? Why do Mahayana monks live in self sufficient temples, while theravada monks go out and gather food and necessities as offerings? These are all little questions concerning inconsistency,wandering of my mind, my misunderstandings, and modern values coming from the western mindset through the years. I don't want anyone to suffer, but my lack of indifference is a hindrance, ironically I am also in a way indifferent to the suffering everywhere especially in starving countries.

What I thought of next is why? If Nibbana to escape rebirth, then to be in the universe is some sort of lotus chamber or Matrix, to be is a great misfortune.
The seems nihilistic, not in the way the universe exists but how to approach being. The world is pretty real but should it be?

The universe has no supreme divine lord, that means our views and beliefs originate entirely with ourselves? I then think how everyone has their own view, using amazon.com reviews of books as an example, should I join in with those who think a particular book is terrible or those who liked it? How can I trust anyone elses information?

I then thought perhaps to see for myself, I want to see the entire way things work, what is the way and what is just a metaphor, so I can know for sure what the universe looks like and what is the truth of its nature. I want to know whether Buddhism is to accept or reject being and the fact I am and existence, there is.

I see too many paradoxes here and there, I just want to have a clear view of the absolute truth, which itself can't really exist but it could.

I am confused.
James the Giant

Re: Compassion and i am.

Post by James the Giant »

Papashaw wrote: I just want to have a clear view of the absolute truth, which itself can't really exist but it could.

I am confused.
Good luck with getting a clear view of absolute truth! :tongue:
I'm not even going to begin answering your questions, because honestly I don't know the answers myself to most of those.
But when I get confused, I bring it back homez to the herez and nowz, and practical life.
Doing good, being good, meditating, reading. I give all the big stuff and questions a rest for a while, and sometimes it seems to become clear by itself. Or not.
But anyway what really matters to me, is day-to-day life and practise.
Just my two cents. Good luck!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

You can be sure, that the one who don't speak - tell more truth, rather the one who speak. :meditate:

PS it's not true :)
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
befriend

Post by befriend »

try to practice more its more important to become a streamwinner in this lifetime, life is incredibly short if you practice long enough things will become clear to you. the truth of the universe is not a thought its an experience.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I see a full cup, the brim (almost?) overflowing with previous ideas clanging and wailing and papanca-ing all around. Maybe sit down, step back from it all, note "wow, citta is chaotic just now, isn't it?" and breathe.

Then, when the mind has gotten some quietude, pervade the surround with care and friendliness, and let the cantankerous mind compose itself around that theme. No thinking need occur.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Papashaw

Post by Papashaw »

I also wonder why I chose to post in this forum and not dharmawheel, I know so little and what theravada or mahayana is or why I need to choose between the two or which one is right. I need to empty my cup, what to do next.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Papashaw wrote:I also wonder why I chose to post in this forum and not dharmawheel, I know so little and what theravada or mahayana is or why I need to choose between the two or which one is right. I need to empty my cup, what to do next.
Hello Papashaw,

I asked on Dharmawheel 'what is heart of teachings of Mahayana and Vajrayana', the aswer was clear. http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=11093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So if you have to make a choice in teachings, you have a choice between 3 aim:

Theravada - Liberation.
Mahayana - Bodhichitta.
Vajrayana - Guru.

:anjali:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I try to help people who are confused. It help me to overcome my own confusion!

I learn this trick by working as a teacher. Before you teach should learn a little bit. The attached link will be a great help for you. Please start from chapter 15.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
manas

Post by manas »

Greetings Papashaw

questions and doubts piled up upon even more questions and doubts! It's enough to drive one insane - and I know, because I have been there.

Think about this. If you had lost something precious, and were looking for it, and your house was really messy - I mean with junk lying around everywhere, on the floor, etc - then it would be hard to find that precious object. But if you cleaned up your house a bit, made some clear space in it, after a while you would have a better chance of finding that precious object.

In my experience, searching after the truth is the same. We need to make some space in the mind, to calm down it's excessive motion and noise, if we want to have a chance of finding out truths about ourselves (and the world, universe, etc).

I'm not saying your questions are all irrelevant. No, I think you ask some valid questions. It's just that, in order to actually answer any of them (the ones that actually have an answer, that is - not all of them do), you will need to slow down a bit, imho. Make some space in the mind.

Personally I find recollection of the body very helpful in this, particularly recollection of breathing.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.