Anyone tried the Samatha Trust (UK)?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
puppha

Anyone tried the Samatha Trust (UK)?

Post by puppha »

Hello,

I am considered booking for a week-end organised by the Samatha Trust.
I just would like to know if anyone had already tried it and could give me some sort of review? Are they any good?

Many thanks!
:anjali:

With metta
sampan

Re: Anyone tried the Samatha Trust (UK)?

Post by sampan »

Hello puppha,

I regularly attend meditation sessions with the Samatha Trust in London, and I have spent a weekend at their centre in Wales.

They also have an active centre in Manchester, I understand.

The Samatha Trust is mainly concerned with the teaching and practice of Samatha meditation (no surprises there, then :smile: ) To that end they don't say much about Buddhism to begin with, they just teach calm abiding meditation in a secular way.

The group that I attend includes chanting, metta practice and some sutta study. Several of our members have been regularly attending for up to ten years. The teachers are all long-term experienced meditators, and they are always ready to help our practice with one-to-one discussion.

It's all Therevada-based, as the Samatha Trust was established in the UK by a Thai Buddhist ex-monk who travelled to London in the 1950's, and taught mediation in London and Oxford.

In summary, in response to your question "Are they any good?", I would say "Yes, without a doubt".

Of course, it depends what you are looking for. If you are seeking Vipassana or instant enlightenment or yogic flying, you are sure to be disappointed. If you are looking for a sincere and open group for developing meditation practice, try them.

Hope this helps... I would be very interested to hear how you get on, and whether you agree my assessment, or not.

Sampan.
puppha

Post by puppha »

Dear Sampan,

Thank you very much for your comments! :anjali:
That looks interesting, I'll give a try to their week-end course.

With Metta
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

puppha wrote:I am considered booking for a week-end organised by the Samatha Trust.
I just would like to know if anyone had already tried it and could give me some sort of review? Are they any good?
The people I've met seem very sincere and are solid meditators - so I'd recommend them.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
puppha

Post by puppha »

Thanks for your comment, porpoise. :anjali:
That looks quite promising!

With Metta.
seahorse

Post by seahorse »

Hi Puppha,
I am also about to book a weekend with them in Wales. I have recently started attending a weekly class and really rate it. The teacher knows his stuff and all seems coolio at the moment.
Hope it goes well for you.
Death sweeps away those who spend their lives gathering flowers
- Dhammapada 47

The only true freedom is freedom from the heart's desires;
And the only true happiness this way lies...
- Matt Johnson, The The
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

puppha wrote:Thanks for your comment, porpoise. :anjali:
That looks quite promising!

With Metta.
Let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
puppha

Post by puppha »

Let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:[/quote]
Will do! I sent the booking form yesterday.

With Metta
PeterHarvey

Post by PeterHarvey »

Please note that as well as weekly classes in various places in the UK, Ireland, Germany and the US (see drop-down menu at http://www.samatha.org), the Samatha Trust now also has an online class:
http://www.samatha.org/what-we-offer/cl ... -june-2017, which includes weekly one-to-one Skype contact.

Peter Harvey
Kabouterke

Post by Kabouterke »

I've never been to one of their groups, but I almost attended one of their retreats in Wales. One of the teachers there met me online to discuss the practice, my history, what the retreat is like, etc. They even offered me a small scholarship to attend the retreat and offered to provide support after the retreat to keep my practice going.

The only thing I didn't like is the fact that they don't publish a lot of information at all about the technique that they teach. They're also a little shy to go into the details when directly asked. I like to know what I am getting into before I invest a lot of time and money attending a retreat.

All in all, I was super impressed by their generosity and willingness to help. They seem like a good group of people and I would definitely recommend them. A lot of the more well-known meditation teachers in/from the UK started practicing at the Samatha Society (ex. Ajahn Brahm).
Last edited by Kabouterke on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kabouterke

Post by Kabouterke »

PeterHarvey wrote:Please note that as well as weekly classes in various places in the UK, Ireland, Germany and the US (see drop-down menu at http://www.samatha.org), the Samatha Trust now also has an online class:
http://www.samatha.org/what-we-offer/cl ... -june-2017, which includes weekly one-to-one Skype contact.

Peter Harvey
Is this Peter Harvey, as in the professor at Uni. of Sunderland?
PeterHarvey

Post by PeterHarvey »

Yes, though now retired.
Peter Harvey
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

PeterHarvey wrote:Yes, though now retired.
Peter Harvey
And author of one the better introductions to, and survey of, Buddhist history and thought: An Introduction to Buddhism: Teachings, History and Practices (Introduction to Religion. The 2nd edition is a bit pricey, but the 1st edition, which is still worth reading, can be had considerably cheaper.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723