RIP, Jacintha Saldana

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
beeblebrox

Re: RIP, Jacintha Saldana

Post by beeblebrox »

Annapurna wrote:Following teachings of the Buddha came to mind:

1. Right speech.

A prank is a lie. Do you agree? It's not the truth!
You pretend something that is not true, and try to fool someone for amusement.

I am sure the Buddha would have heartily disagreed with this prank.

2. Intention: ...that's interesting.

Obviously, they did not intend this. So, in a way, they can't be blamed for Jacintha's suicide, but well for all that led to it.

The Buddha discouraged all sorts of entertainment issues...and that's their biz.
Hi Annapurna, I agree that this is terrible, and could've been prevented from happening... but I don't think it's really right for us to try push these onto others, especially the ones who are not themselves practitioners.

I think that there are still a few things that we can do, though... which is to educate by example, like how we live our own lives... or maybe make ourselves available as a support to those who were involved... just a couple of wholesome examples of what to do with our practice.

:anjali:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Who' s pushing what?

I am merely analysing/discussing this happening amongst Buddhists, on a Buddhist board!

So lets not confuse this with attacking them.

It's a situation that is utterly tragic, -a harmless, thoughtless, unmindful prank had results nobody dreamt of.

But it could have been preventedm indeed.

An old Roman saying goes like this:

"Quidquid agis, prudenter agas, et respice finem."

"Whatever you do, do it wisely, and think of the end."

This was one of the teachings my father confronted me with early, as a child and it helped me to think far ahead, and remove myself from situations where the outcome could be bad, as well as warn others.

It could be I am alive only because of this, knwoung what comes from what.

Big things come fromn small thingsm an avalanche can be the result of a snowball.

Nobody wanted it, but people just didn't THINK.

Not deeply enough anyway.

And I may sound obnoxious, but people who have raised kids usually see a little bit further than:

"Just a harmless joke."

It was PREDICTABLE, highly PROBABLE, think of the law of Murphy, that there might be someone on the phone who is not an intellectual heavy weight, who is basically under a mild shock when she hears the QUEEN, and wishes to cater to her every wish.

That's something a lot of simple people would do...

and then to make this public and have a good worldwide laugh at the expense of a poor simple mind is something I personally don't fibd funny,.

I didn't like it when I first heard it, and thought:

Oh-oh...

The nurse is going to get a lot of problems, disciplinary action, BIG TIME, royal family, unthinkable scandal!!

That was clear.

Things like that destroy lives, literally so, and if they are on the air, they should be mature enough to deal with human beings in a sensitive, responsible and considerate way.

that's just my opinion....
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Mr Man wrote:I guess a lesson we can learn from this is that we really should try and be vigilant. The outcome of the prank couldn't be predicted but it is now something that the two broadcasters have to live with and except a degree of responsibility for.
The hoax was thoughtless, pointless and potentially dangerous and offensive. The pranksters' employers also bear some responsibility.

The nurse was (at least) not as cautious as she should have been, copped more blame for it than she deserved, and has paid a greater price than she should have.
Her employers bear far greater responsibility than the radio station but have not - to my knowledge - been called to account for it. Every hospital in our (Aussie) system has strong rules on patient confidentiality and I assume the same is true in the UK, and it is the hospital's responsibility - to the patients and their families - to have training and protocols in place which prevent this kind of unauthorised release of information even when a staff member is liable to make a poor judgement call. Maybe especially then.

:namaste:
Kim
Usually people are briefed in that way, esp when the reigning Queen is in the picture.

But Jacintha wasn't usually answering the phone. She helped out.

She probably couldn't tell the wrong accent due t her Indian ethnicity.

She was totally flabberghasted she had the Queen on the phone, HER QUEEN. A simple mind like she was is dumbfounded, afraid to make a mistake, eager to please...eager to be of best service to someone royal.

Remember, she ain't a white smart Alec. She is simple folks who feel insecure around Royalty.

To have failed the Royal Family must have shamed her beyond imagination.
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Annapurna wrote:Who' s pushing what?

I am merely analysing/discussing this happening amongst Buddhists, on a Buddhist board!
Annapurna, I apologize.

corrine

Post by corrine »

Thoughtless speech is always problematic. Unfortunately, in this day and age, and maybe always, there have been those who think that words are benign. That we can say anything that pops into our minds because it is only words. I, on the other hand, believe that words are the most powerful weapons that humans possess and that it is incumbent upon each and every one of us to consider carefully before speaking. Once said, words can never be recalled.

I think that adults must be held to account for the damage that their words cause. No, I do not believe in controlling speech. To the contrary, I believe that we all have the right to say or write whatever we wish. However, we need to be responsible for the fallout of our words. After all, if you holler 'fire' in a crowded theater causing people to panic and lives to be lost, you must be held accountable. If not legally, then certainly morally.

Words are precious. They can bring so much good or so much pain. The right word at the correct time, can make any situation better. The wrong word can cause incalculable harm. So we need to think before we speak. And if someone is badly hurt by our words, we need to step up and take responsibility. Just because a lawyer says that something is legal, does not make it okay. It just makes it legal. Maybe. None of us needs to ask a lawyer what we should or shouldn't say. I believe that we all know the difference between right and wrong speech. When we bring lawyers into it, we are just trying to pass the blame.

I am praying for this poor woman and most especially for her family. I cannot begin to imagine their pain. All because of a 'prank'. How very very sad.

corrine
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

beeblebrox wrote:
Annapurna wrote:Who' s pushing what?

Annapurna, I apologize.

Dear...you're very kind. :anjali: