Seeking resources: Mindfulness, concentration & ADHD

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
retrofuturist

Seeking resources: Mindfulness, concentration & ADHD

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone had access to any resources specifically addressing mindfulness and concentration in the context of ADHD.... preferably resources of a Buddhist nature (if such things exist) but I don't want to restrict the query so as to exclude secular information either.

:thanks:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Aloka

Re: Seeking resources: Mindfulness, concentration & ADHD

Post by Aloka »

Hi Retro,

Earlier in the year there was an article in the Huffington post "Mindfulness and ADHD".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephanie ... 16826.html

with kind wishes,

Aloka
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.100 ... 18?LI=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above link offers a preview of the "Mindful Awareness and ADHD" chapter of the 2009 Clinical Handbook of Mindfulness; perhaps it is worth looking into.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Thanks Aloka & Dave (plus anyone who PM'ed me).

:reading:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Not quite what you were asking for, but check out the documentary "ADHD and Loving It".
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Retro, have you come across any good ones?

Just came accross this article if you are interested
http://www.imconsortium.org/prod/groups ... _93587.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Cittasanto wrote:Hi Retro, have you come across any good ones?
Not beyond what's been referenced here, but I admit that I haven't been looking too hard yet.

My girlfriend is a psychologist, qualified to teach mindfulness techniques, but has trouble applying them herself on account of ADHD. She doesn't want to take any medication for the ADHD, and my reason for looking for materials was to learn more about the mindfulness challenges she experiences, and to see if I could understand them better from a Dhammic frame of reference. She has one language and frame of reference for these things, whereas I have another... I figured the more I read on the subject, particularly articles that were cognizant of both frames of reference, the easier it will be to bridge the communication gap and improve my awareness and understanding of what the ADHD means to her.

Metta,
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

In another lifetime (or sometimes it seems that way), I was a counselor working with "emotionally disturbed" teenagers in a residential treatment facility. Every last one of them had a diagnosis of ADHD, and the program I worked for was anti-stimulant medication. I started training the youth in simple "mindfulness" exercises. We played a game called "statue", the youth would freeze like a statue and try to maintain that pose as long as they could, and I timed them. The exercise required "mindfulness of body", and I provided coaching about maintaining awareness of body movements; at first the youth could be still for 10 seconds. Then 30 seconds. Then 1 minute. When they got to 3 minutes, I would teach a basic "mindfulness of breath" exercise.

Because I was already collecting data on "on-task" behaviors in the classroom and during structured daily events, I could demonstrate a clear improvement in their ability to "remain on-task" after starting the statue game.

It's worth noting that the youth were highly motivated and they enjoyed playing the "game". In my career working with adults, many of whom are living with ADD or ADHD, the adults unequivocally dislike mindfulness exercises. I try to convince them that it is "good medicine", but few are motivated to seriously try mindfulness. I was relieved when there was a whole section in the documentary "ADHD and Loving It", where people spoke about how much they hated meditation.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I know nothing of ADHD apart from what is in popular understanding, but to put something out there for those in the know... would a visualisation exercise be more suitable for a sitting practice?
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Cittasanto wrote:Hi Retro, have you come across any good ones?
Not beyond what's been referenced here, but I admit that I haven't been looking too hard yet.

My girlfriend is a psychologist, qualified to teach mindfulness techniques, but has trouble applying them herself on account of ADHD. She doesn't want to take any medication for the ADHD, and my reason for looking for materials was to learn more about the mindfulness challenges she experiences, and to see if I could understand them better from a Dhammic frame of reference. She has one language and frame of reference for these things, whereas I have another... I figured the more I read on the subject, particularly articles that were cognizant of both frames of reference, the easier it will be to bridge the communication gap and improve my awareness and understanding of what the ADHD means to her.

Metta,
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
marc108

Post by marc108 »

retrofuturist wrote: My girlfriend is a psychologist, qualified to teach mindfulness techniques, but has trouble applying them herself on account of ADHD. She doesn't want to take any medication for the ADHD, and my reason for looking for materials was to learn more about the mindfulness challenges she experiences, and to see if I could understand them better from a Dhammic frame of reference. She has one language and frame of reference for these things, whereas I have another... I figured the more I read on the subject, particularly articles that were cognizant of both frames of reference, the easier it will be to bridge the communication gap and improve my awareness and understanding of what the ADHD means to her.
my girlfriend is a psychology grad student, so i understand the 2 different frames of reference here. i personally have no run into any Dhamma teachers addressing ADHD directly, but if you want PM me and I can shoot my teacher an email and see if he knows anyone.

re: the other frame of reference:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... indfulness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephanie ... 16826.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://psychcentral.com/lib/2010/mindfu ... dhd/all/1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18025249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22347788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22993482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you want and cant get access to the full study, PM me and i will get them to you. you also may want to contact the authors directly and ask for some resources.

A talk from the 1999 "Insights from an Ancient Tradition" seminar held in Shelbourne Falls, MA, Different Kinds of Minds is a discussion of ADHD and ways that Vipassana Meditation can help with treatment. Vivian Snyder
http://podbay.fm/show/81508264/e/1147639012?autostart=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Q&A with a monk about ADHD
http://alightofdhamma.blogspot.com/2010 ... _9307.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."