Creating disgust of the body

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
carlosm

Creating disgust of the body

Post by carlosm »

This video (be careful with swearing) just got me thinking a lot about food and what we do for enjoy ourselves.

Sausage Fest - Epic Meal Time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_n2ZHbbtRg

Do you know any more examples?

peace.
purple planet

Re: Creating disgust of the body

Post by purple planet »

This is a good idea ! looking to read what people post

second i must say that i really like epic meal time - for me it looks delicious 90% of what they do - but as a vegan i see it as not moral to watch them just to think about how much increases in animal consumption they caused and how much death they caused because of this videos

If you want something much more nasty (not that i think this video was) see how they make the normal suaseges -

and last i must say maybe its nice all the craving for food cause that way you have something to work on something to label "hungry hungry" or to retrun to focus on the breath or whatever -its like a practice booster - its easier to work with hunger then with pain cause with pain you cant be sure that maybe you sit to much but with hunger its safer

i found that stoping to eat after lunch can teach you how to control yourself (just make sure to eat healthy so you wont suffer from the lack of eavning meals)
Last edited by purple planet on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I throw up after watching this video
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Just got another idea - my brotehr thought he broke his tooth while eating a pastry - so i adviced him to spit all he ate out and look for a tooth part in just so he could relax well lets say it didnt look that tasty after chewing so maybe you can chew your food and then re eat it - this will help with your disgust
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

about how to contemplate disgust of food :

http://www.dhammacenter.org/meditation/ ... ss_of_food" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
carlosm

Post by carlosm »

purple planet wrote: second i must say that i really like epic meal time - for me it looks delicious 90% of what they do - but as a vegan i see it as not moral to watch them just to think about how much increases in animal consumption they caused and how much death they caused because of this videos

If you want something much more nasty (not that i think this video was) see how they make the normal suaseges -
I understand, creating food, specially processed meat can be really disgusting, I think most of the people see that, but we avoid it or just try to forget it pretty easily so we can enjoy it. Seems to me is the same with our desires in general, we tend to forget what suffering and what are our desires.

This EPIC Meal time shock me as we normally feel disgust showing something like our body does, just process the food, moved around, etc. But then we're happy to enjoyed regardless... just because looks good (imaging the sausages of that mixture food).
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Aversion is attachment.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

m0rl0ck wrote:Aversion is attachment.
Disgust, here, seems to mean dispassion, not aversion... it's a useful distinction for us all to be aware of.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

daverupa wrote:
m0rl0ck wrote:Aversion is attachment.
Disgust, here, seems to mean dispassion, not aversion... it's a useful distinction for us all to be aware of.
I hate to be pedantic about the whole thing but,
dis·gust
/disˈgəst/
Noun
A feeling of revulsion or profound disapproval aroused by something unpleasant or offensive.
Verb
Cause (someone) to feel revulsion or profound disapproval.
Synonyms
noun. loathing - nausea - abhorrence - repugnance - aversion
verb. sicken - nauseate - revolt
https://www.google.com/search?q=disgust ... =firefox-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: ok my conscience is bothering me. I lied. I love being pedantic about this sort of thing :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Then be pedantic about the Pali: nibbidā.

:anjali:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

daverupa wrote:Then be pedantic about the Pali: nibbidā.

:anjali:
I prefer to limit my exercises in pedantry to my native language but :) In all seriousness if someone is translating a pali term that means "to be sated" as the english word "disgust" they need to take a look at accepted english usage of the words "aversion" and "disgust", which you can see from the definition above are at least near synonyms, and modify their work accordingly.