The Snake

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ben

The Snake

Post by Ben »

Ajahn Chah isn't my teacher, and I am unfamiliar with a lot of his work.
I read this on facebook and thought it compelling and relevant given a situation I am facing in my life.
And I thought one, or perhaps more, of you would also find it of interest.
Text by Ajahn Chah.
Photo by me.
We people don't want suffering, we want happiness. But in fact happiness is just a refined form of suffering. Suffering itself is the coarse form. You can compare them to a snake. The head of the snake is unhappiness, the tail of the snake is happiness. The head of the snake is really dangerous, it has the poisonous fangs. If you touch it, the snake will bite straight away. But never mind the head, even if you go and hold onto the tail, it will turn around and bite you just the same, because both the head and the tail belong to the one snake.
In the same way, both happiness and unhappiness, or pleasure and sadness, arise from the same parent - wanting. So when you're happy the mind isn't peaceful. It really isn't! For instance, when we get the things we like, such as wealth, prestige, praise or happiness, we become pleased as a result. But the mind still harbours some uneasiness because we're afraid of losing it. That very fear isn't a peaceful state. Later on we may actually lose that thing and then we really suffer.
Thus, if you aren't aware, even if you're happy, suffering is imminent. It's just the same as grabbing the snake's tail - if you don't let go it will bite. So whether it's the snake's tail or its head, that is, wholesome or unwholesome conditions, they're all just characteristics of the Wheel of Existence, of endless change.
copperhead.jpg
copperhead.jpg (85.75 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Aloka

Re: The Snake

Post by Aloka »

Thanks Ben, .....and that's a nice snake in the photo !

The discovery of Ajahn Chah's teachings helped to activate my decision to investigate and change tradition from Vajrayana to Theravada.

with kind wishes

Aloka
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Aloka

The snake's name is "Randy" and is an Eastern Copperhead. No. 11 on our list of dangerous creatures.
This particular specimen was socialized and as a result - very friendly. This was at a demonstration of snake education and first aid that I organized for some our primary school students. Elapids are fascinating but maligned creatures.
Soon I might have a bit more time on my hands and perhaps then I'll investigate Ajahn Chah's teachings. What I have read, seem very pragmatic and 'earthy', which appeals to me.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

This was a very powerful passage - thanks, Ben. Sometimes familiar teachings can be stated in a particularly punchy way that pushes past the defenses, eh?

Ajahn Chah is certainly one of the 20th Century classic teachers both in terms of the teachings and the legacy. Definitely worth investigating.

I hope that whatever it is you are facing, mate, that you do your best and things will change for the better. If there is anything I/we can do, also don't be shy. Blessing to give and a blessing to receive!
_/|\_
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Ben wrote:Hi Aloka

The snake's name is "Randy" and is an Eastern Copperhead. No. 11 on our list of dangerous creatures.
This particular specimen was socialized and as a result - very friendly. This was at a demonstration of snake education and first aid that I organized for some our primary school students. Elapids are fascinating but maligned creatures.
Soon I might have a bit more time on my hands and perhaps then I'll investigate Ajahn Chah's teachings. What I have read, seem very pragmatic and 'earthy', which appeals to me.
kind regards,

Ben
Hi Ben,

I like snakes - and once held (and had partly coiled around me) a very large python !

You can always download Ajahn Chah teachings or get free books from Forest Sangha Publications.

http://forestsanghapublications.org/index.php

with kind wishes

Aloka
plwk

Post by plwk »

This reminds me also of Ahina Sutta
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

plwk wrote:This reminds me also of Ahina Sutta
Or MN 22 The Water-Snake Simile:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Suppose there were a man needing a water-snake, seeking a water-snake, wandering in search of a water-snake. He would see a large water-snake and grasp it by the coils or by the tail. The water-snake, turning around, would bite him on the hand, on the arm, or on one of his limbs, and from that cause he would suffer death or death-like suffering. Why is that? Because of the wrong-graspedness of the water-snake. In the same way, there is the case where some worthless men study the Dhamma... Having studied the Dhamma, they don't ascertain the meaning of those Dhammas with their discernment. Not having ascertained the meaning of those Dhammas with their discernment, they don't come to an agreement through pondering. They study the Dhamma both for attacking others and for defending themselves in debate. They don't reach the goal for which [people] study the Dhamma. Their wrong grasp of those Dhammas will lead to their long-term harm & suffering. Why is that? Because of the wrong-graspedness of the Dhammas.
The Buddha used the snake simile to describe grasping at views and Ajahn Chah used it in the similar way to describe grasping at pleasures / cravings.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

David N. Snyder wrote:
plwk wrote:This reminds me also of Ahina Sutta
Or MN 22 The Water-Snake Simile:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just to round out the topic, here is the next sutta, MN 23:
Dig is a synonym for aroused effort. Obstacle is a synonym for ignorance. Remove the obstacle is dispel ignorance Its meaning is wise one take a tool and dig. Bhikkhu, a swollen dead body is a synonym for anger and restlessness. Take the tool dig and remove the swollen dead body is dispel anger and restlesssness. A forked path is a synonym for doubts. Take the tool, dig and remove the forked path is its meaning. The casket is a synonym for the five hindrances;; sensual interest, aversion, sloth and torpor, restlessness and worry, and doubts. Dispel the five hindrances is. wise one take a tool dig and remove the casket is its meaning. Tortoise is a synonym for the five holding masses. Such as the holding mass of matter, the holding mass of feelings, the holding mass of perceptions, the holding mass of determinations, and the holding mass of consciousness. Remove the tortoise is give up the five holding masses. Wise one take a tool, dig and remove the tortoise is its meaning. Slaughter house is a synonym for the five strands of sensual pleasures. Such as pleasing agreeable forms arousing fondness cognizable by eye consciousness. Pleasing agreeable sounds arousing fondness cognizable by ear consciousness. Pleasing agreeable smells arousing fondness cognizable by nose consciousness. Pleasing agreeable tastes arousing fondness cognizable by tongue consciousness and pleasing agreeabale touches arousing fondness cognizable by body consciousness. Remove the slaughter house is dispel the five strands of sensual desires. Wise one take the tool dig and remove the slaughter house is its meaning. A tendon of flesh is a synonym for interest and greed. Wise one take the tool and dig is its meaning. The snake is a synonym for the bhikkhu with desires destroyed. Wait! Do not hurt the snake, worship the snake, is its meaning.
Bhikkhu Bodhi notes, "The nagas are a class of dragonlike beings in Indian mythology believed to inhabit the nether regions of the earth, and to be the guardians of hidden treasures. The word comes to represent any gigantic or powerful creature, such as a tusker elephant, or a cobra, and, by extension, an arahant bhikkhu. See Dhammpapda Chapter 23: Nagavagga."

It's very difficult for me to not see proto-kundalini symbolism here.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Hmm, reading that quote, I wonder how Ajahn Chah would respond to Goenkaji's oft-repeated injunction; Be Happy.
Maybe Ajahn Chah is speaking more to monastics, and Goenkaji more to laypeople.
I think they'd definitely like each other on a personal level, they're both charismatic, funny, and wise.
Best wishes for your situation Ben.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This reminds me the snake simile:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el048.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”