shooing flies

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
purple planet

shooing flies

Post by purple planet »

One of the first things i do since starting to practice and even before is to resist scratching

that is helpful now a question about fly - i thought about letting them walk all over me and not waving my hand next to them to remove them - does someone here does the same ? do you think they might have diseases ? or maybe lay larva in my skin ?
Ben

Re: shooing flies

Post by Ben »

Use repellant. Put up fly screens. Meditate under a mosquito net.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Nothing wrong with shooing them away..... you are not harming or killing them.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I know there is nothing wrong - i just would like to add this as something to deal with -

Scratching unlike pain is a great way to learn equanimity , a great way not to react to not develop an aversion (or attachment to the relaxed skin)

So i wonder that maybe not shooing flies can be another way to aid in my practice
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

MN 2 wrote:And what are the fermentations to be abandoned by tolerating? There is the case where a monk, reflecting appropriately, endures. He tolerates cold, heat, hunger, & thirst; the touch of flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun, & reptiles; ill-spoken, unwelcome words & bodily feelings that, when they arise, are painful, racking, sharp, piercing, disagreeable, displeasing, & menacing to life. The fermentations, vexation, or fever that would arise if he were not to tolerate these things do not arise for him when he tolerates them. These are called the fermentations to be abandoned by tolerating.
But, this isn't something to endure needlessly. Probably there were lots of flies around during ancient cemetery meditations, but if one was a monk or nun one could take the outer robe, drape it over the head, and cover all exposed skin. No problems - so maybe, get a large bed sheet if things get crazy:

• "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

I use mosquito attacks to cultivate tolerance during meditation. But I also do everything in my power to stop the little buggers getting in. But once one lands, I take no action and just make it part of the mediation.

Here's a an interesting thing I have seen in real life... This seal is sleeping on a beach. Amazingly, this seal is actually healthy. They can close their nostrils to stop the flies going up their nose too.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11