Disregarding the Suttas is the height of arrogance.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Aloka

Re: Disregarding the Suttas is the height of arrogance.

Post by Aloka »

tiltbillings wrote:One way to approach the issue:
  • "We don't use the Pali Canon as a basis for orthodoxy, we use the Pali Canon to investigate our experience." -- Ajahn Sumedho
Do you have a source for the Ajahn Sumedho quote, please Tilt ?

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloka wrote:
  • "We don't use the Pali Canon as a basis for orthodoxy, we use the Pali Canon to investigate our experience." -- Ajahn Sumedho

Damdifino. I saw it years ago in a news letter.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

Very nicely said. :anjali:
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Aloka wrote:

I think it's in Intuitive Awareness. If not exactly, he says very similar things there.
alan

Post by alan »

Oh, my. Doshin, please tell me how the Dhamma exists if the primary teachings do not exist.
They are our reference point. This seems so obvious it should not need to be mentioned, and yet, I hear some who claim otherwise.
Burden of proof is on you, fiend.
alan

Post by alan »

And no, it is not intuitive awareness. If that were true, we'd all be awakened. The Buddha said his Dhamma is deep, hard to fathom, to be understood by the wise. It goes against the grain. That's why we need to read the original teachings, and try our best to understand.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Alan,

Intuitive Awareness is the title of a book by Ven Sumedho.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/intui ... reness.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:And no, it is not intuitive awareness. If that were true, we'd all be awakened. The Buddha said his Dhamma is deep, hard to fathom, to be understood by the wise. It goes against the grain. That's why we need to read the original teachings, and try our best to understand.
And best to read it in the Pali.

alan

Post by alan »

No disrespect to him, but do you think that is an appropriate understanding?
I've found nothing in the Suttas to back up this concept.
alan

Post by alan »

What is the Pali word for intuitive awareness?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:No disrespect to him, but do you think that is an appropriate understanding?
I've found nothing in the Suttas to back up this concept.
Back up what concept?

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

tiltbillings wrote:
Aloka wrote:
Damdifino. I saw it years ago in a news letter.
It could be a paraphrase of this quote from Ajahn Sumedho:

The Suttas need to be studied, reflected on, and practiced in order to realize their true
meaning. They are not meant to be sacred scriptures which tell us what to believe. One
should read them, listen to them, think about them, contemplate them, and investigate the
present reality, the present experience with them. Then, and only then, can one insightfully
know the Truth beyond words.

Ajahn Sumedho (From his foreword to the Mauríce Walsh translation of Dígha Nikaya)
alan

Post by alan »

Agreed.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

David N. Snyder wrote:
It could be a paraphrase of this quote from Ajahn Sumedho
I found it in an online newsletter back in the E-Sandbox days during their "early Buddhism" skirmishes." I used it as part of my signature for awhile, but, alas, I cannot find the original source.

alan

Post by alan »

Original source for everything is the Suttas. Without the words of the Buddha, we would be nowhere.
This is a basic fact!