YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

how do you enter jhana? - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

how do you enter jhana?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
ohnofabrications

Re: how do you enter jhana?

Postby ohnofabrications » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:01 am

Some one I respect has recommended I take down this post. It is a better idea to just practice concentration without worrying too much about jhana at all... Apparently ;)
Last edited by ohnofabrications on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:15 am

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:33 am

Hi ohnofabrications

Thank you for that. I have a question though, that I haven't read in books anywhere. How much time of daily siting practice is usualy advised in order to attain the jhanas? And what is the usual timeline of progression, with that amount of practice. I know people are different so it's difficult to answer this, but I would like to see average numbers.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:38 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:57 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

ohnofabrications

Postby ohnofabrications » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:04 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:25 am

manas

Postby manas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 am

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

barcsimalsi

Postby barcsimalsi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:56 am

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:52 am

barcsimalsi

Postby barcsimalsi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:10 am

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:24 am

convivium

Postby convivium » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:52 pm

i would recommend finding a teacher who's understanding of jhana is something you have faith in. then, if you can, go there and live with that teacher. the internet is not a great teacher; but there are a lot of meditation instructions on the internet for jhana (for what they're worth). you can call teachers and ask if they have any recommendations for texts on jhana. e.g. ajahn thanissaro recommends ajahn lee method #2 in keeping the breath in mind to visitors, but if you didn't go there, or talk with him, you probably wouldn't know that. i don't have a teacher like that, so i just do what i know. if you keep perfect sila over time, then doing jhana will come more naturally. and if your samadhi isn't that refined, it doesn't mean you can't contemplate the body, and your actions, etc. .

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... .html#path
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:17 pm

I apologise to everyone involved in my name calling, especially to the mod team and even more to the mod I contacted privatly. It was biting the hand of those who give me food. I feel guilty and ashamed. I'm sorry.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:30 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

mirco

Postby mirco » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:58 pm

"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as concentration, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps unification is a better rendition, as samadhi means to bring together. Deep samadhi isn't at all stiff. It's a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." -

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:53 pm

mirco

Postby mirco » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:00 am

"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as concentration, but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps unification is a better rendition, as samadhi means to bring together. Deep samadhi isn't at all stiff. It's a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." -

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:33 am

Return to “Samatha Bhāvana”